Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Vitamin B-12

Vitamin B-12. Vitamin B-12 is also called Cyanocobalamin. I found this out tonight from a guest who uses injects herself in the buttocks with this because when she was young she had anorexia and barely survived it. Our guest is now 37 years old but has to supplement her diet to stay alive. Though she is a physical trainer and a triathlete now she works hard to maintain her health.

About 8 years ago I took my mother and then 10 year old daughter to Europe to meet my then 25 year old son and his friend who were travelling through Europe on a Eurail pass. (note: if you buy a Eurail pass get it your home country because it is much more expensive if you get it in Europe). We met my son and his friend in Munich, Germany where I rented a motor home that could sleep all of us. We all then drove in the motor home through Austria, Switzerland and into Northern Italy.
At that time my mother was what I would call "starting to get strange". I thought the most trouble I would have would be with my 10 year old daughter traveling. No, it was my mother who was always whining and making things difficult. I couldn't understand why, as my mother was always the most pleasant person in any room. However, she was about 80 and little did I know she was starting to move down the road to senile dementia. Alzheimer's is a little like Senile dementia but also different in certain ways. Anyway the cause of senile dementia is hardening of the arteries of the brain And of the stomach no longer being able process B-12 vitamins.

If you or anyone you know is over 40 or 50 world wide, the chances are they will be needing at least sublingual B-12 supplements sooner or later. I get mine from Trader Joe's in California and you just put one under your tongue once or twice a week. I used to do it every day until I heard that the cell salts aren't good to take every day that the b-12 is suspended in. By putting it under your tongue and not swallowing it, the vitamin bypasses the stomach which might not be able to process it anyway and goes directly into the blood through the veins under your tongue by way of the cell salts. If you are wealthy enough you could just get B-12 shots from your doctor at least once a month after age 40 or 50 years old as a precaution against a dysfunctional brain and eventual senile dementia. Because without enough b-12 no ones brain can function properly after 40, 50 or 60 years old depending on the health and genetics of the person.

It is very healing for me to write this for you because I wasn't knowledgeable soon enough to save my mother from Senile dementia. She hasn't known who she or I am for about 1 year now and can't walk anymore. Senile dementia is a fatal disease for those of you who don't know. It might take 10 or 20 years but it is always fatal. Maybe doctors can figure a way to completely stop it soon. However, it is too late for my mother who will be 89 in January 2008. My mother's mother and two sisters all passed on at age 90 so maybe Mom will live to 90 also.
If you want to read more about Cyanocobalamin and B-12 here is a good site for it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_B12

No comments: