Friday, January 11, 2008

What is a Wife?

What is a Wife?(or significant other)

You are perfectly free to have your own definition. However, this is mine. A wife is a dear friend that you share interests with and who you can be sexually active with and potentially have children with. I know this because I have been married three times and have had one child with each wife. And each of my marriages was happy at least for a while.

I found that I loved being a father. Being a husband I think is an unnatural act for any man sort of like being a celibate priest. So that is how I equate it. The sacrifice of being a good husband (for me, at least) is only worthwhile for me to do on behalf of my children.

I talked to a priest about this once. He said that after(by then 25 or 30 years of counseling people as a priest) that people tended to fall into one of the following categories.
One: people who are happy and capable of being married to the same person for life.
Two: People who are capable of being married to the same person for life but are not happy about it.
Three:People who are capable of being married to several people(one at a time) through their lives.
Four: People who may live with people but who should never marry.
Five: People who shouldn't ever live with or marry a significant other.

He said each of these categories comprise about 20% of humans on earth. He said that emotional harm and physical violence arises when a person tries to do something that they are not capable of doing. So that the most important thing here is to know oneself very well before marrying or living with anyone.

I think this priest(now passed away)was a very wise man.

This does not mean that I didn't love my wives. This means that it is a great deal to ask of any man to be faithful to one woman until he dies. It is a man's biological predisposition to impregnate as many females as possible. This is just about being a male human mammal. Whereas, a human females biological predisposition is completely different. A woman is biologically designed for finding one male to stay with her and to protect her and their children. This contradiction in biological needs has given the human race fits for thousands of years already and doesn't look like it is going to stop doing that anytime soon. It is almost as if male and female humans are so completely different that they are like two different species.

No comments: