Sunday, February 3, 2008

Moving

Moving. I was feeling sorry for myself at having had the Boomerang chest cold for about 2 weeks so far. I started thinking about my life. The last thirteen years I have lived on only two homes with my wife and daughter and sometimes my adult son who is now in medical school.

However, I started to think back upon the many moves from apartment to house to whatever that I endured from birth to about 46 years of age. There were some good things about this too, like the almost 400 girlfriends I had when I wasn't married and having kids during the time from age 15 to the present, plus all the wonderful people I met and wonderful scenery everywhere. But that is mostly about the 60s and 70s and before AIDS so people today couldn't possibly understand what California was like on the coast that didn't actually live through it in the 1960s and 1970s.

For fun in order of where I lived I thought it could be fun to list where I lived chronologically:
Seattle, Lake Forest Park (2 locations),beginning California age 4 Vista, El Cajon, Age 6 Tujunga, age 8 Glendale (3 locations) until age 21. Then Hollywood Hills, Venice, Poway, Rancho Penasquitos, Rancho Bernardo, San Marcos, Encinitas, San Marcos Again, Vista again,Mt. Shasta 7 locations 1976&7, 1980 to 84, 1989 to 1992. Aromas, 4 other locations in a Coastal California County near the San Fran. Bay area. That's about 30 moves since birth with most of them in San Diego, Los Angeles, Siskiyou counties, and the Greater Seattle Area. Then I have to add 3 locations in Hawaii, Hilo in 1974 and Hana and Paia in 1989 and 1990. So far I think I'm up to 33 moves which doesn't include the house I built with my father in Yucca Mesa or the House which I and my father and a few friends built at 4000 feet on the side of Mt. Shasta on 2 1/2 acres so that takes us up to at least 35 moves and I know I have forgotten at least 15 other moves many of them with a grand piano up flights of stairs before I moved to Hawaii in 1974 with my first wife and baby. For some of you from other countries you might be horrified or be jealous of me depending on your point of reference. Obviously, by now I have learned to take my friends, girlfriends, wives and children with me. And yes, I usually choose whenever possible to live in the most beautiful places I can find either near the ocean for snorkeling, body surfing or surfing or near mountains where there is skiing, hiking, mountaineering or in summer kayaking and swimming in pristine mountain lakes and streams.

I have always avoided working for large corporations like the plague and have preferred whenever possible to be an entrepreneur owning either full time or part time businesses. I also started mail order businesses to supplement my family income.
This facilitated moving whenever I wanted to. Also, colleges that I attended caused me to move several times. Other times it was girlfriends or wanting to be near friends in Mt. Shasta that were buying property and starting fun lives which caused me to buy property and build my own house and have my own adventures.

People tell me that I act much younger and am healthier than most people my age. When I look at the Obituary page sometimes 75% are people dying between 35 and 60. Since I'll be 60 this year I would say I'm as healthy as most 35 years olds were when I grew up now at age 60. Diet, happy exercise and healthy living help. I don't smoke and rarely drink except when friends visit or I'm traveling to another place or country. So although I've got this damn Boomerang chest cold, since I started my Thyroid medicine last June I'm about 3 times and strong and healthy as I would have been a year ago. So life is amazing. sometimes I feel like I've been reborn!

No comments: