Saturday, February 9, 2008

The XO computer

The XO computer, the good and the bad. The good news is that MIT and many other universities and foundations around the world developed an amazing little computer that uses flash memory instead of hard drives so it can withstand up to 140 degrees fahrenheit without dying on you. It is possible to drop it from maybe 5 feet without killing it and it is basically impervious to dust the way it is constructed. I donated and got one via the give one get one donation project here in the United States so I paid about 400 for one donated to a child and I got one in that deal. The computer sells for about $180 plus shipping each.

I used this computer wirelessly while in my jacuzzi bath without worry of moisture. I also used it in my hot tub outside in the dark and I like the way one can Position the screen so I could see the keys (which are built for a childs hands). The keyboard size would be my biggest complaint if an adult has to use it. HOwever, because it runs linux the likelihood of dealing with viruses and the like is very slight(about the same as an Imac). However, Linux isn't windows just so you know. It works in some ways similar and in some ways differently. So unless you are familiar already with PC's and Imac gui's then it will take a little time to get used to their linus setup. However, instructions are online that you can access easily from your previous computer. Also, it runs at a little less than 1/2 gig so it is quite slow but adequate for kids running it off solar cells or hand cranks in third world countries. Also, I would recommend plugging your own mouse into it so the mouse doesn't freak out so much.

I had a lot of fun with it and took it outide a lot wirelessly and (like I said) with me in into the jacuzzi and the hot tub but remember I'm not dipping it in the water I'm just near a lot of moisture both places and felt perfectly safe doing this both times. The batteries last a long time because the computer is designed to be one of the most miserly in its use of electricity ever designed. It reminds me in some ways of an extremely big blackberry running on linux that goes a lot slower in accessing things which is still great if you are a third world kid who has never even seen a blackberry. Plus Blackberries aren't necessarily designed to be recharged solar or hand crank(at least that I know of).

One of the biggest problems that I had with it besides the tiny keyboard and the speed that it operates was that I felt a little ill if I used it say 4 hours a day for a few days. I think it might be broadcasting a little powerfully for little brains and they might get a little fried if they use it four hours a day or more for a few days. So my solution would be wherever possible to put in an ethernet connection on board the xo computer so it could be plugged into the internet via ethernet cable say in schools to lessen this over broadcasting effect that I experienced so kids don't get sick from it.

No comments: