Thursday, March 27, 2008

Into the Wild:The movie

Into the Wild:The Movie. I watched it on DVD. My wife brought it home. I thought it went on and on. Even though I have known many friends who spent too much time alone in the woods and got pretty squirrelly, I never met anyone who took it out as far or as lonely as this guy who died doing this did.

I always figured people either have the survival gene or they don't. Whether it is dying from not recognizing the right plant as in his case or whether its dying from driving your car too fast or falling asleep at the wheel or choking on something you swallowed that is too big for your throat or a real friend of mine who died free climbing and falling several hundred feet on Castle Crags in California, there is a bridge too far for everyone.

I always say people either have the survival gene or they don't. I always had an intuitive sense when I was going to far with anything that said to me, "You're going to die if you take it any further!" It really wasn't anything anyone told me it was just life saying to me, "Take it one step further and you're dead!" People who are too dense or just too stoned to hear this voice are all dead now or will be sooner or later. That is a given. I have watched people go crazy or die that were good friends of mine since the early 1960s. Most of them were very good people but they just didn't know when to quit whatever it was that they were doing that finally killed them. Some of them were really smart and some weren't so smart. But the one thing they seemed to lack was common sense.

I think it was Albert Einstein who said that intelligence doesn't mean anything if you don't have common sense to go with it.

No comments: