Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The Belief Gene

The Belief Gene. Genetic researchers have found one gene that flipped one way causes belief and flipped the other way causes an agnostic or atheist. Most people have the gene flipped toward belief. However, if you are one of those with the gene flipped the other way don't despair. In studying anthropology it is noted that all genes and all traits exist within humans and all species to enable our species and all species to survive anything.

For example, if most of the human race follows some religious crazy off a cliff like lemmings to their deaths like the Jim Jones group in Central America then you won't have that problem and your children will survive.

So, whether you have that gene flipped toward belief of non-belief you are necessary to the ongoing survival of the human race.

Since I and most people have the gene flipped toward belief I would like to speak about that now. In another of my blogs I noted that when I was about 21 I realized that I only believed in God with about 85% to 95% of my perceptions at that time. I also realized that if there was no God or purpose to my life that I would quickly choose to end it. I also realized that since I would die soon without a belief in God and purpose to everything that I would need to pretend to believe in God with the 5% to 15%(depending on the day) that didn't believe in order to stay alive as a human on planet earth.

As I have grown older I have met more and more people who have had exactly the same experience that I had including my wife. What we both did was to imagine(experience) what life would be like without the peace of a belief in God. Doing this for both of us was the single most horrifying experience we have ever had. By taking away all meaning and belief from ones life one is left only with bare animal instincts and complete selfishness. From that point of view it is only kill or be killed. Nothing matters except ones own survival.

Yes. It is true that is exactly where one has to get to in war or when someone is running after you with a gun or knife but soon after the incident is over one can then return to believing in God once again. Also, it is theoretically possible to experience God fully even while taking the life of one's attacker. It is possible to never lose ones center through the whole ordeal. However, I must say this would be a very rare occurence and sounds sort of like someone like Bruce Lee who would be a martial Arts Master.

However, most of the time in our lives we don't experience these kinds of extreme things unless we choose to be a policeman or soldier.

So, in the end understanding that if you have the gene switched to belief you need to believe in something or someone to survive gives you an edge in understanding yourself and other people. It is also important to realize that the minority of people who have the gene switched to non-belief are also needed so the human race can survive anything on this planet on another or somewhere in between.

No comments: