Monday, April 14, 2008

Music to my Ears

Music to my Ears. There is a saying, "Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind". I have found this true for every human on earth. However, to survive one often has to change their dreams in order to survive a lifetime of 70 to 80 years, otherwise we do lose our minds and sometimes our bodies as well.

Lately I have been having dreams both waking and sleeping ones. In one I was with one of my old Tibetan Lama teachers, a Geshela, which means literally "spiritual friend". My family just called him Geshela even though his name was Geshe Lobsang Jyatso which means "strong kind spiritual friend of the ocean of wisdom" or something like that.
Even though he has been passed on for almost 10 years now he was in this dream with me. With me and he were his thousands of students that he had taught during his lifetime worldwide. I remember once my son, then about 10 had a friend that I considered to be a juvenile delinquent and I worried that he would influence my son badly. So I turned to Geshela who we were sponsoring to get a green card and said, "Geshela, this boy once was a soldier alongside me about 1500 years ago and saved my life. Can you help him?"

Moments later this boy fell off a veranda at our ocean house and broke his hip. As the fire department loaded the boy onto a gurney carefully I thought how completely strange this was. However, today it made a lot more sense. First, my older stepson watched the fire department rescue this boy and later became a fire captain himself because of witnessing this. Next, the boy whose hip broke had to be immobile for a long time for it to heal and gave up his delinquent ways. Third, my son didn't become a delinquent and is now in medical school. I am amazed how everything went in all their lives. And it all started when I asked Geshela to help this boy who had once saved my life when I was a soldier 1500 years ago!

In my recent dream with thousands of Geshela's students from Tibet to Nepal to India to the United States, Canada and Mexico, we gathered in a large Christian type church. He asked me to sing a solo one of about 8 that day. However, because Geshela always had a thick Tibetan accent I couldn't always understand everything he was trying to convey to me. Spiritual Tibetan thought does not really have a difference between dream and physical reality. I think this is one reason that their ideas tend to be so profound. When you break down reality into physical and dreams and then you negate dreams as being real at all like we do in the material world, sanity is lost in the process, even though logic and rationality might be helped, sanity is lost. Because only by seeing the universe spiritually and physically as one ongoing process, even though it is overwhelming all the time is the only way to encompass the totality of everything everywhere. Separating everything into dream and physical only impoverishes us all in the end!

So, in the end the only use for separating dreams and physical reality is to make war and kill and to separate beings from each other to psychologically manipulate them and enslave them!

For in the end, even nations are only a dream. They have no real physical component. So, just like religions nations are only a shared dream, a shared history. They have no intrinsic natural reality other than a shared dream, just like a religion does.Yes. It is true this dreams bind us together and hopefully less people died horrible deaths because both religions and nations exist in our minds. However, this is not always the case. In the end everything is about what we believe, so be careful what you believe so you stay free and not be enslaved mentally, physically or spiritually!

No comments: