Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Virginity

Virginity.Since the early 1980s most especially because of AIDS the idea of virginity might actually be a more practical survival strategy until marriage or a permanent living partner that "Hooking UP" in college and after.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/30/magazine/30Chastity-t.html?pagewanted
=2&ei=5087&em&en=56a61e16412b40e7&ex=1207195200

I was reading this New York Times article and it reminded me a lot of growing up and going to church regularly until I was about 21 years old. Though I started dating at age 15, I didn't even french kiss a girl until I started going out with a 21 year old girl from my church when I was 16 and bought my first car. The year was 1964.

At that time the birth control pill had only gone public in 1960 and had spawned a dynamic social and sexual revolution that did not actually peak until AIDS was discovered in the early 1980s. However, in 1964 regular churchgoers like myself went out only with girls we intended to marry. So, for me I went out with the 21 year old only for one year then a college girl for two years and then another college girl for 2 years. By that time I was still a technical virgin even though I had spent the night with a girlfriend by the time I was 16. By age 21 still being a technical virgin was really starting to make me a little crazy because I was still restraining myself even though I had been dating several girls one at a time for 7 years. When I broke up with my 20 year old college girlfriend after 2 years because she had decided to remain a virgin forever even if I married her I was 21.

At this point I decided to only date girls that were likely to go all the way or who had already gone all the way. Whether this was a good decision or not I wasn't crazy in a deprived way anymore although I must say sexual intercourse really complicates things(really can be confusing)if you don't stay with the person you are being intimate with long term whether it be going together, living together or married.

Well, at least 25 girlfriends later I first lived with my girlfriend and then married and had a son when I was 26. So I met a lot of girls between 1969 and 1973. This was a very wonderful and at the same time very confusing experience because just as you get used to one person and their eccentricities then you have to first feel sad that whatever was going on has changed and then you move on to the next and then the next and then the next. I think everyone was pretty confused back then because of the Viet Nam War and all our friends dying in that war 50,000 and the 250,000 wounded as well as the countless walking wounded that you still see begging for food on street corners today. So I think a good portion of the sexual revolution was just the nearness of death of our brothers, childhood friends etc. that really upped the ante for the sexual craziness and use of drugs etc that took place at that time. When thousands(50,000) draftees die and most of them went against their will to a war most people didn't believe in it tore the soul out of America. Trust really hasn't been restored to our government now for the betrayal young people felt then.

Anyway I sort of got off track. What I'm saying is that with all the sexually transmitted diseases today maybe staying a virgin longer might keep you alive and healthy longer.

No comments: