Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Iron Man:The Movie

If you are thinking of seeing Iron Man and haven't seen it yet you are in for a real treat. However, I have to tell you that my 12 year old daughter didn't like it because Robert Downey Jr. was to old for her to relate to as a love interest.

However, this movie made 100 million dollars in the US the first weekend and the same overseas so it is definitely a classic and will be one likely you will want in your DVD collection 6 months from now.

I found Tony Stark the main character in Iron Man to be a metaphor for the United States right now, arrogant but capable of anything. When he is captured and almost dies he undergoes a change much like I see America going through right now. The world is changing and we must all adapt or die! This is the way things always have been. The old paradigm that has existed since World War I and II is gone! So both America and the world has to adapt. All who don't adapt won't survive the extreme changes now taking place on earth right now.

I liken what is happening on earth in ALL countries to being in a slow motion accident. You can see what is coming isn't good but if you handle yourself just right you might just survive this.

I can remember in 1969. I had purchased a brand new 1968 Camaro within the last year. I was driving in the fast lane on one of Los Angeles Counties many many freeways at about 70 miles per hour. To my horror I saw a four foot high and two foot wide piece of concrete with one foot of twisted rebars fall out of the back of a truck about 7 cars in front of me. The only reason that I survived untouched is that I was only 21 with excellent reflexes and a car that could swerve sideways one lane without losing control of my Camaro which had excellent high speed handling characteristics. The seven cars in front of me were totaled and I only survived because I swerved at 70 into the emergency lane. None of the other cars drivers were fast enough or had a car that could do this at that speed. As I drove by them in the emergency lane I didn't apply my brakes because I sensed this would be my death. My car and I were untouched but behind me in my rear-view mirror was a horror of colliding cars. as each car hit such a big object it pushed first the engine through the hood of the car and then catapulted the cars into the air. Though I was terrified by the experience I was one of the few that survived without a scratch on me or my Camaro.

The last few years of what is going on on earth reminds me of this experience. Only this is now like the world in slow motion having a bad accident. Though you might say this began with 9-11-2001 I would have to say this began with the Tsunami in Indonesia in December 2004. The greatest losses of life appear to be caused by natural disasters and not wars. If you have done any research these losses of life caused by natural disasters appear to be increasing in frequency and death toll by the year.

Part of this was pointed out to me to just be because the world population has increased so much that more simply will be likely to die in these events as they happen worldwide. However, Global weather changes caused by deforestation and massive reductions and extinctions of thousands of species on earth are a part of this dynamic. It is no surprise that the greatest enemy of man IS man.

No comments: