Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Mortality

I've been reeling the last 20 hours or so since finding out that one of my sons best friends is in the hospital and might not make it. I've known this boy since he was in high school and even went to his wedding and reception last fall. At age 60 to here about someone only thirty who might die just after getting married is a truly awful thing. If you are young and saw this happen it would be bad enough but for someone like myself at age 60 it is unthinkable to watch someone that age pass on. It is such a loss for everyone.

I've led a very full life. I have three biological children and two grown step-kids and two God daughters that my wife and I have helped through college. If I passed on tomorrow it would be okay with me just not my wife and kids and friends. So I stay alive for them now mostly. Mortality touches us all. I've read that a meditation on the impermanence of life is one of the keys to enlightenment. Unfortunately, someone meditating on death is not someone most people would want to talk to afterwards. Such are the paradoxes of life.

No comments: