Friday, May 30, 2008

What is Real?

"What is Real?" may not be the most useful question unless you just woke up from an all weekend bender and have to figure out not to walk in front of that moving truck.

However, "Why am I choosing to live here on Earth?" might be more useful in your sojourn here on earth during your lifetime.

Just because a whole lot of people believe something for thousands of years doesn't make it true. For example, for thousands and thousands of years people believed the world was flat and if you said anything else, you would be killed just for disagreeing with them. Were they right? No. We all now know(most of us at least) that the world is definitely not flat.

Likely, there will be other sacrosanct notions about life that will be broken and something else proven true in the next several thousand years. What they will be is unknown to most of us at present.

For the time being, however, the most useful question I can think of is: "What is important to me?" and next "What is important to keep the human race alive and not extinct on earth." For if the human race stays alive, my children and my seed might stay alive too. And in this way I might become immortal through the lives of my descendants.

I think these are the important questions to begin with. After that, an infinitude of other questions might follow. It's up to you.

No comments: