Thursday, July 3, 2008

Denmark 'world's happiest nation'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/7487143.stm

Begin quote from above internet address:
Our research indicates prosperity is linked with happiness. It does contribute," he says, "but it is not the most important factor.

"Personal freedom is even more important, and it's freedom in all kinds of ways. Political freedom, like with democracy and freedom of choice." end quote.

If I look at my own life, for example, after 60 years, the happiest times were not necessarily associated with Great Wealth but with freedom of choice and good physical health. Now, wealth is nice but I would likely trade it for the physically pain free 20s or the wise 30s with less physical pain than one tends to have at 60. I felt more free then because of my health and because I at least seemed to have less obligations and responsibilities.

However, the least happy times of my life were probably from age 18 to 24 when I had the most girlfriends and my life mostly was just about me. My highest level of satisfaction has always been about being a good father but not necessarily being a good husband. However, now I have the best of all worlds because I am married to my best friend in this lifetime, my wife. In this way I'm married to my best friend and being faithful to my best friend is always easy for me. Being there for my kids whether or not they are there for me always also makes my life worthwhile. A house that's paid for and being mostly retired is nice too.

No comments: