Saturday, July 26, 2008

The Possibilities of Wealth

Though the possibilities of wealth for some of you might be only for yourselves, I believe the real possibilities of wealth should be for everyone. However, getting from point A here and now to point B where everyone benefits from wealth is another story. Many have attempted this and all have miserable failed because of one reason or another. For example, those that once believed in "To each according to his or her needs and from each according to their ability" failed miserable because this sort of thinking though sweet in the abstract does not work in the real world. It failed miserable simply because people, "mostly only do things when they have no other choice". So if people have a choice often they will either do nothing or do whatever they want which has absolutely nothing to do with "To each according to his or her needs and from each according to his or her ability". It is my belief that the only present reality that this could work in would be if robots were programmed to serve humans. Then robots could provide the needs of humans and animals according to their programmed abilities. One sees this in the the space luxury liner in the movie WALL-E with all its good and bad ramifications. So, obviously there is no perfect solution to sharing the wealth yet devised for mankind here on earth.

So, then we turn to the possibilities of wealth for each person on earth. For me, wealth is not just money. It is intelligence, wisdom, experience. Add to that intuition, friendship, spirituality, humanism and altruism and then you really have something valuable. But in order to achieve all these things the right opportunities and intelligence and mental and physical health are necessary.

In my life money hasn't been my first consideration. I think this has been because I had two parents growing up that I was biologically related to and we were fairly happy as a family. My mother, father and I and my and then live in Scottish Grandmother all lived together and this worked to make me feel secure and stable when I grew up. So, for me, family and friends were always my priority since my life has been lower middle class to middle class as I grew up. My parents always had at least one car and sometimes a truck as well for Dad's business or for weekend jaunts or both.

So, since I always had enough cars, bicycles, toys, relatives and friends I didn't see money the way most people do. This gave me time to become philosophical and to ask questions about everything as many in my generation did during the 1960s. Since we were all very well educated compared to our parents and predecessors we saw many of the problems in the 1960s and began to change things for the better. In our idealism and relative inexperience in the world we both succeeded and failed in a multitude of ways the way all generations do. What we had was enthusiasm, intelligence but little experience at the time. This created many solutions as well as many new problems that the human race is still dealing with now. This is always true of innovative times and generations and ideas.

The next thing I'd like to mention is how many people who win lotteries lose all their money and even go bankrupt within 5 years. The main reason for this is that they treat their money like many middle and lower class people do their paychecks. When what really needs to be done is a rethinking of all their money ideas.

The way to keep their new wealth or lottery winnings is to begin to understand that, first of all a house or car is not a good investment if you are making payments on it. And on top of that a house is only a good investment if it's paid for. I suppose if one bought an antique or rare car that might be a good investment if it was stored and maintained properly. The point I'm trying to make is that if one wants to have wealth and to keep it, to maintain it and to grow it, then one has to view wealth as investments and dividends or interest. Investments are usually left as investments in order to earn you money in the form of dividends or interest or equity on your house. So one does not ordinarily spend their investments unless they have to or want to be poor. One does at times reinvest but that is a different thing than liquidating investments and spending the money.

There is a saying, "It takes money to make money". My addition to that would be, "It takes money to make money and it takes invested money to get interest and dividends to say wealthy." Getting wealth people do in all sorts of ways. However, staying wealthy is done by investing and living on dividends and interest or working at whatever job you choose worldwide and supplementing your income with dividends and interest. One can even choose to work while reinvesting dividends and interest and watching it compile over the years. Though the housing and mortgage industry are having problems at present, one can also study history and see how people found ways to survive those times too. This might be a good time to study that now.

No comments: