Sunday, September 28, 2008

To Sleep Perchance to Dream

I have often contemplated having this saying by Shakespeare written upon my tombstone because it says it all. I was watching a preview for Bill Maher's movie "Religulous" a few minutes ago. And I decided to write about my reactions to this concept.

If a person is in his room alone and not harming anyone then I suppose they could believe anything they wanted to and that would be okay with me. However, if people's lives are at stake and people putting those lives at stake cannot have any doubt about their religious beliefs even if people's lives are in jeapordy because of it then those people are not considered to be human by me. Some Doubt in one's beliefs is for me a necessary component of being a human being. If any person does not value human life above any religious beliefs they have then that person is a danger to all societies on earth and should be incarcerated or eliminated from society permanently. For me, this is the whole point of a movie like "religulous". It is not that people should stop believing in whatever they believe in, it is that all people should definitely question their beliefs when harm to any beings is contemplated. For example, if someone killed someone because the Bible, the Koran or whatever religious book told them to then they might be considered a religious sociopath by ALL the main civilizations on earth and a danger to all societies and either be incarcerated or eliminated. This is how all civilizations on earth at present view all this in the main at this time.

No comments: