Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Boston Legal

My wife informed me recently that she thought Denny Crane(William Shatner) and his law partner male character were misogynist characters and because of this she couldn't watch Boston Legal. I felt sad about this even though I knew she probably was right. Since Boston Legal is one of my favorite TV programs I realized that I had to think about this.

As I thought about it I realized that to the 1950s and before men that I knew as a child growing up, that all men who are under about 50 years old would be considered "Gay" in action and behavior to them.(This doesn't mean that any men are necessarily sexually gay they would just be thought of as gay by the men when I grew up. Because I grew up in the 1950s this is my experience too. It is not that I don't like women to be empowered. I think women being empowered so they don't kill themselves as much as they did until about 1970 is great. However, it has turned men into ridiculous people that have no real identity anymore other than to make women happy. And this is JUST as bad as it was before for women. It Sucks.

I find that I am part macho pre 1970s male and part after 1970s male. HOwever, I find that men have lost their way while trying to accommodate women and because of this it is even more screwed up than it was for thousands of years for women for men now. That is what I think. So as good as this is for women it is worse for men than it ever was before.

I think it might take several hundred years to get the new balance between men and women to work at all. Men fake it now but if you ask any man and he is honest with you it totally doesn't work at all the way it is now. However, many men might just think it was always this way and have no reference points at all.

Guys. Things were so very different before the 1970s that I can't even explain it all to you. However, both men and women threw all old values out "threw the baby out with the bathwater" and the baby hasn't been retrieved yet and likely won't be for several hundred more years". By then I don't have any idea what it will mean to be a man or a woman and maybe even being a man or woman might be optional or even completely unnecessary by then. So who knows. However, the past is gone forever, along with All the good things and all the bad things about it.

No comments: