Sunday, November 23, 2008

Hinayana, Mahayana, Vajrayana

These are the three basic Buddhist paths. The way Tibetan Lamas described it to me would be: Hinayana is a path to become a Buddha through good deeds and enlightened actions through reincarnation. They described this as a solitary path like rowing a boat across the Pacific Ocean alone.

Next is the Mahayana path, which is described as going to enlightenment and becoming a King or Queen Buddha as quickly as possible by getting there all together like flying together in a Boeing 747 quickly across the ocean. This path, described this way seem the quickest and most practical.

Finally, the Vajrayana path, which it is said is not for everyone, is the quickest of all. It is called the Diamond Path or the Lightning Path. This path can lead to enlightenment in one lifetime. The most famous practitioners and successes of this path are:
Padmasambhava and Mila Repa, that are both considered both Buddhas and saints who acheived full enlightenment and Buddhahood in one lifetime. However, it is also considered a dangerous path for Crazy Wisdom adherents who are tired of watching their relatives and friends suffer lifetime after lifetime. By the way, Crazy Wisdom is the Wisdom Beyond Logic. It is for gifted adherents of Buddhism who have the intuitive gifts, intelligence and passion for ending the suffering they see in all life around them including themselves.

Around 20% or more of all Buddhists now on earth also believe in God. I am one of these since I was raised Christian Mystic and my first memories were of Arcangel Michael and his band of protecting angels. I have now come to the conclusion that they are also the protecting and defending Wrathful dieties spoken of in the Tibetan Book of the Dead that protect souls being born, growing up and keeping them on the right paths throughout their lives. This is my experience, however, and I don't expect you to share these beliefs unless it is also your personal experience.

When I traveled to India and Nepal and Thailand in 1985 and 1986 for 4 months I met many people I had known before and went to many of the places I have lived before in previous lifetimes. Also, when I went to Scotland, Germany, Switzerland, and England I had many memories of lifetimes there as well in 1999. So, I remember many different kinds of experiences as well as a variety of different kinds of religious experiences around the world in many many lifetimes.

In this lifetime I would presently describe myself as a Christian mystic Tibetan Buddhist. I see no problem or paradox with this at all because in studying Comparative Religion since my College days I have found that all religions are basically the same at core and any real differences are mainly cultural not really differences at core at all.

No comments: