Monday, November 10, 2008

I can think both ways

I'm not dyslexic. However, my mother and grandmother who raised me were but didn't tell me. However, my mother finally told me when she was 82, 5 years before she passed away because I was wondering where my son and one of my daughters got dyslexia from since it is hereditary.

However, as a child I used to define my father as logical, structured, scientific, accurate.

I defined my mother and grandmother as kind, spiritual and nurturing. Since I knew nothing else as a child I felt structure from my father and nurtured well from my mother and grandmother. I also defined my mother and grandmother as "Very spiritual people". They both were very special but neither was someone who I expected to be a CEO of a company or anything like that. In fact, my grandmother was pulled out of grade school in the 3rd grade and made to raise all her 11 brothers and sisters. She never was allowed back in school. Nor did she ever work in the world outside of being a wife and mother. However, she read her Bible every day and took care of me for Mom as a permanent babysitter in our home taking care of me from birth until she left our home when I was about 21 or 22. I was living at home or off somewhere in school or college from age 17 until I got married at 26 the year my son was born.

The point of all this is that even though I am not a dyslexic I was raised and trained primarily by dyslexics at least at home. Starting at age 12 I trained every summer to be an electrician and worked side by side with my Dad as I was 5 foot ten by the time I was 12 or 13 and could pass for much older than I was. So, from Mom and "Nana", my grandmother I learned to be a gentleman and to be kind. From my father I learned to think strategically, scientifically, methodically, efficiently. And from my father I was taught how to survive any situation physically, mentally and craftily without getting into trouble.

What is interesting to me is that my best friend since 1969 who is about 3 years younger than I and has been a professional musician most of his life after he got a master's degree from UCLA in History of Religion also grew up with one parent regular and a dyslexic mother.

Over time I have realized what we have in common. IN addition to a love of mountain climbing, skiing and a love of the outdoors and world travel, we both grew up with a mother who was dyslexic and a father who was not. This allowed both of us to master both regular thought and intuitive dyslexic thought. Regular thought is our natural state but intuitive thought that is more common to dyslexics is also there.

I find to be able to do both is a life saver. It has saved my life in multiple ways all my life. It has allowed me to make decisions that put me in places I needed to be so I could survive anything and help people survive unbelievable circumstances worldwide.

If you have one parent regular and one parent dyslexic consider it a blessing because it is.

No comments: