Saturday, November 22, 2008

Padmasambhava brought Buddhism to Tibet

Most people agree that Padmasambhava brought Buddhism from Nalanda University in India to Tibet and Bhutan in the 8th Century. Though Merlin was earlier in England I sometimes wonder if they were the same person as he was said to have a "pink complexion" like Europeans. However, there is no corroboration so it is only conjecture for now.

Most people believe that Padmasambhava was born in Afghanistan and moved into India to study with Mahasiddhas and Buddhist Scholars at Nalanda University which was at that place the premier place of studious knowledge about Buddhism at that time on Earth.

He is said to have then gone to Tibet by way of Rewalsar(which I have been to). His magical supernatural acts there have been turned into Dorje Drolod or (Grolod) by Tibetan Buddhists over the years.

I was sent from Dharmsala to Rewalsar by Tibetan Lamas I knew or met there in late January and February 1986. Here, I found places where Princess Mandhrava had supernaturally melted the boulders with her fingers so her father the King's soldiers couldn't drag her away from her Guru, Padmasambhava. When the soldiers tried to pull her away from Padmasambhava, she stuck her hands into the boulders so they couldn't pull her away.

Also, when the soldiers tried to burn Padmasambhava at the stake he turned the place into a lake and flew up several thousand feet up the side of the mountain and melted his feet into the rock. I have been to this boulder and my Vasques Cascade size 14 Mountain Boots were exactly the same size as the melted footprints of Padmasambhava. The monk who was showing me the footprints was surprised anyone had feet the size of Padmasambhava. As soon as I did this the whole sky turned purple and purple rain fell out of the clouds and violet lightning struck the ground in many places over the next several hours.

I had asked the question to Saint Germain, who I have studied with since childhood if he and Padmasambhava were the same soul or being. The violet lightning storm and purple rain were my answer, and emphatic "Yes".

So after I walked with my family back down to the lake Padmasambhava had magically created so long ago, I got my amythest prayer beads and prayed for a Lama I knew there that was ill and for everyone I knew on earth and for all beings everywhere. I knew such power as the violet lightning storm should not go to waste so I directed it through prayer toward healing the lama and helping all beings everywhere.

I remember people looking out from their houses as the violet lightning crashed all around me while I prayed while doing a Dorje Drollo power walk to heal and end the suffering of all beings. Such moments come sometimes only once, if that in a lifetime. Getting struck by lightning was the very least of my worries. My primary duty was to make the most of this moment for all beings past, present and future.

I was recently watching a program on the history channel on the Tibetan Book of the dead. This might sound silly to you but I didn't know that Padmasambhava had written it. I also didn't know that he hid it in a boulder and that it had to be discovered by the Tertons, or treasure revealers.

For those of you who have never experienced how different and amazing India, Nepal, Bhutan or Tibet can be, this is the best way I can express it. Though I haven't been back since 1986 and since this is 22 years later, still I would like to share the following with you.

I found India and Nepal up into the Himalayas many times like being 1000 or more years ago. People out in the country might gather in the hundreds or thousands just to stare at a westerner or look at your eyes or touch the hair on your arms. Politeness, like we experience and extend to each other in the western world did not exist in the country in India when I was there. However, I found the people in general in the country to be very precious and kind people. The very last thing you would ever expect in the country would be to be murdered then. The people believe in karma, so since they don't want to be murdered the last thing they would do is to murder or physically harm you. However, they might try to con you out of your last cent with one or another silly idea that might make you laugh or run behind your horse or camel drawn cart saying "bakshish" for a mile or more until you threw them a coin or two just so they wouldn't pass out from running after you.

I remember one time buying tickets for my whole family to ride on a train in India only to find that when the train arrived hundreds of people were hanging on the outside of the train with no room inside. I learned to only rent a private compartment after that. It was the only way to be sure one could even get on a train at all. And all the trains at that time were steam engines which was really fun. Chai or Indian tea was sold only to go in thin little pottery cups around train stations and when done one smashed the pottery cup on the tracks and children picked up the pieces and crunched and pounded them down into new pottery cups fired them I guess. There were only a few things that usually were safe to eat so one didn't get giarrdhea or dysentery. They were boiled tea, chunks of potato with curry and other spices and boiled eggs. It wasn't safe to eat salads or fruit that had thin skin. However, oranges were always safe to eat if unpeeled when you bought them and if one ate enough oranges or lemons it was said that ones biological system would get so alkaline from that no illness could live in your body. Some westerners I knew stayed well this way so they could then eat anything and be okay as long as they boiled the water 5 minutes before they drank it at all times.

No comments: