Saturday, November 29, 2008

when a tree falls in a forest

First year of college Philosophy you will likely hear, "If a tree falls in a forest and no one observes it, did it really happen?" The required philosophical answer is "No.It didn't happen because no one observed it." This is the basis of all the sciences that all sprung from philosophic questioning of everyday phenomena. This is done so no one can make up something if no one observed it first hand.

The reason I bring all this up is that I am witnessing things here at my blog that I have witnessed or experienced at one time or another in my 60 years on earth. So, if like the native American over 150 to 200 years ago who was the first person in his tribe to see a piano or anyone playing it described it thus paraphrased, "When the creatures teeth were hit by the white person the creature screamed. I've never seen anything like it" His people laughed at him and thought what he said was crazy. Likewise, when one of you sees or experiences something like I have, you will say, "Hey, Old FRED on the internet said something about this only there is more too it than he said". Then you will blog on your keyboard or by video cam and report your further experience of what I mentioned because you figured out what I was talking about. This is how human knowledge expands. Each of us as internal and external explorers must speak about what we experience and the next persons have in this way external and internal maps that can be updated as the external and internal terrain changes through time and space.

No comments: