Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Real Deal

When I let my wife read my last blog, "Women are Crazy and Men are lame" she felt that I was just dealing with the sadness of my life before her. She felt that I should be talking more about what works than what doesn't work.

First of all, when a relationship works, it's a miracle and it is usually completely unexpected and one cannot usually define exactly why it works. For example, my present marriage. I prayed for someone in my life as my last marriage was ending mostly because I didn't expect to psychologically or physically survive my last divorce. For me, the reason was simple. How could I mentally or physically survive a divorce that involved 4 children? One of the children was only 5 years old and the others though teenagers had already been through one divorce and each had one new stepparent from that. Yes, the marriage had lasted 15 years so the children were mostly young adults under 20 years old. However, for me, it was unthinkable in my 40s to be going through this again. So I prayed hard for someone new so I could survive this awful divorce and create a new family base that could stand there as a bastion for all my kids and stepkids.

I have created this new family base now and all my biological children are connected in a good way to me and my new family. And, in my new family I have a 12 year old daughter so now I have 3 biological children. And even though I had to retire 10 years ago from health problems caused partly by my divorce and custody battle, since I started taking Armour Thyroid 2 years ago it is like I'm 30 years old again with a lot more aches and pains because I'm now 60.

However, relationship wise I'm happier than I've ever been. What is most amazing is how many more people I have been able to help since God has provided me with this present marriage. God sends us people to help all the time and because I have a lifetime of experience I can help in ways I couldn't have even imagined 30 years ago when I was only 30. So, pray for a good relationship and you just might get it if you are open to it and ready to do whatever it takes to make it work!

No comments: