Wednesday, January 14, 2009

In Bruge

I had been watching the Golden Globes and heard the movie "In Bruges" mentioned and saw Colin Farrell win a Golden Globe for his portrayal. So I decided then that if possible I would eventually see the movie. Tonight I was visiting an old friend's house and he has every possible hbo and max other new movie channel and it was playing. It had been a difficult day dealing with finances so I needed to watch something to unwind.

The movie was on and I started to watch it. My first reaction was that it was a kind of sick movie. However, as I began to overlook all the swearing and the fact that it was difficult to understand Irish, English and Flemish accents while they spoke English because I am an American. For example, I was never more embarrassed when I stopped for gas with a rental car somewhere in Scotland only to find that I could make out only 1 word in about 4 in this particular Scottich dialect. I found this quite embarrassing. In other words "two people separated by a common language. After a while I began to pick up the slang they were using which is the real trick in understanding another dialect of the same language I find. Even in Canada there are dialects I can understand the words they are saying but they have different meanings there than the slang I use in California so it can be problematic as to what they are trying to convey.

In the 1950s it was the same for some American southern accents that I couldn't make out. However, now I can understand almost all American dialects because TV has made all american dialects closer since the 1950s. Most people on TV speak the California dialect because of Hollywood since about 1900 now.

The lesson of Bruges seemed to me to be "Life is Hell on Earth". As the movie ended I began to think about people who actually live like the ones in this movie and I felt very sorry for them. Since I tend to live with Angels since I am a clairvoyant and a Seer and have chosen to live with God and Angels, whenever I see depictions of people like this I feel very bad for the people. It reminds me of the joke of the man who went to the Himalayas and asked the Cave Yogi what the secret of life was. The Yogi simply said, "Good Decisions!" Then the seeker asked, "How do you learn to make good decisions?" The Yogi shot back, "Bad decisions!"

In Bruges, the movie you see very few good decisions, and when you see good decisions mostly they die because of making good decisions. So it is as if all these people are trying to work their way out of hell and hell for them is their life on earth.

So, as you understand by now, the people in this movie have made mostly bad decisions so far and the decisions have been consistently so bad that the good ones tend to kill them. Another good name for this movie would be, "Karma in real time!"

1 comment:

Thomas said...

I'd heard great things about "Bruges", so Netflixed it a few months ago and was not disappointed. Great acting all around and a good number of laughs. My favorite line was when Colin Farell said, "They're filmin' midgets".