Saturday, March 7, 2009

Back to Basics

I think at this time looking back at what our ancestors were doing about 150 years ago just might be very useful.

If you brought forward even someone who was born the time of my grandparents which was the 1880s you might get questions something like this. You must remember I spoke with my grandparents who grew up in the late 1800s when I was a child and young adult.

Though you might find them stiff and unbending in some ways in other ways you would find them very solid people that you could trust in a pinch.

I can hear them now talking about the fix we're in.

"Why did you trust all these banks and people with your money in the first place. I would have kept at least some of my money in the mattress or cookie jar or even buried in the yard. Don't you know anything?"

"You've got your basics all wrong. Why are you looking at these bright little picture and word boxes you call TV and Computer screens? That's not real. You've got to be grounded in real life. Go out and go hunting and try growing yourself some food. That's real not all this other stuff. If you spend all your time looking at TVs and computers screens life is going to pass you by as if you were the town drunk. What's wrong with you?"

"You've got to live out in the country. Any fool knows if you live in the city you are going to get robbed, get sick, whatever. Only out in the country can you keep well, hunt for your own food, build a cabin grow some food and be self sufficient and take care of yourselves. Don't you know anything?"

This is just a small sample of the kinds of things my grandparents would say. Oh there is one big thing also they would say.
"Get a good education. You never know when you'll need it!"

No comments: