Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Sacred even with Dementia

I was horrified when my extremely intuitive and kind mother got senile dementia. It started when I took her and my then 10 year old daughter to Europe in October 1999 to meet my son and his friend who were traveling through europe on a Eurail pass for several months. At the time I just thought she started to act strange when we flew to Germany from London. A friend of hers had been machine gunned to death at the Battle of the Bulge in World War II. He was 18 or 19 and was a U.S. Soldier. So she was unhappy to be in Germany. I think this was the beginning of her problems. She had been okay in Scotland where her parents were from before they moved to the U.S. in the early 1900s.

So, I rented a motorhome and traveled with my son, then 25 and his friend 24 and my 10 year old daughter and my mother who would never get out of the motor home we rented in Munich and drove through Germany, Austria, Switzerland and into Northern Italy. During this time my mother got stranger by the day. She was 80 that year. By the time we returned to London for the last leg of our flight home to San Francisco, California she not only wouldn't leave the hotel room, she wouldn't even move to a better room. So she stayed watching TV in a below ground room with no windows even when a better one was offered us. So my 10 year old and I went to Broadway type shows and toured London alone without her and brought her food while she watched London cable TV. She did travel with us to Glastonbury, England which is the fabled Isle of Avalon of King Arthur and Merlin fame, though now the lake is most of the year farmland unless it is flooding. Not too far away is Stonehenge also. However, I much preferred the energy of Glastonbury and found it to be the most amazing power spot in England to the point that I could feel the hair on the back of my neck stand up 25 miles away from Glastonbury and only become more amazing as I drew near.

By December 2001 I had no choice but to put her in a nursing home that specialized in Senile Dementia and Alzheimers patients. I watched her become at least 50 strangers I never met before over the next 7 years. She passed away on September 18th, 2008.

However, the point of this article is that my mother never lost her saintlike intuitive abilities at any point. She had amazing experiences and often her caregivers would approach me in tears at how much their lives had been changed in knowing my mother. She would say things often like, "I see angels around you" or "You Have a beautiful aura today." People would be in tears because my mother had no guile as she was at best a child in perception and totally innocent. So they knew she was just "calling them as she saw them". My mother had always seen angels and been extremely intuitive and generally a very sacred person. She and my father had even been in charge of a church in Los Angeles, California from the time I was 6 to 12 years of age.

But the most important thing for me at least was when one of my life long friends who was a high school teacher from Los Angeles came to visit my mother. She was having a complete heaven realm kind of experience that day. It was sort of uncomfortable for us to visit her because what she was experiencing seemed so very spiritually intimate. She said, "Can you hear the angels sing?" "Can you see them how beautiful they are." "I'm so very very happy" "I'm ecstatic!" So my friend tried to engage her but mostly she was just so living in this heaven realm that there wasn't much we could do. However, we both felt the energy in the room was amazing and we both felt the presence of angels around her and us. So, we gave grattitude to God that we were present for this amazing experience.

A few months later my friend died and I realized that God had arranged all this with my mother so he was being prepared for his death and transition into heaven. He was 62 when he passed in his home in Los Angeles.

So, what I'm saying here is that people who are with God all the time often stay sacred even in Dementia. It is a hard thing for us humans to understand but God is more amazing than anything humans can perceive or understand.

No comments: