Saturday, September 18, 2010

Writing September 18th 2010

I encourage anyone who can, to write. It can be very healing, cleansing, Cathartic. (And yes, I recognize that "cleaning" and "carthartic" are very similar words in meaning). And "No" I"m not using cathartic in the "cleansing of the bowels" meaning even though it can be that metaphorically.

So, writing can greatly help and save a lot of money that you otherwise might spend in psychotherapists "if you are someone who sees them useful".  I personally never went to psychotherapists at all until I was married the 2nd time and 37 and older, and only then for marriage counseling to try to stay together for the kids. I kind of came to see therapy like a tool like a hammer. You can take a hammer and build a house with it or you can break your own skull with it. (Your choice). So I guess the most important thing is if you choose a therapist it MUST be someone you have an affinity with and have some trust in. Otherwise FORGET IT! No. We only lasted until I was 45. But I married again and had another daughter. Life goes on! Whether we want it to or not.

So, writing can be whatever you want it to be or just a way to release your feelings and to read to yourself privately. I have done both many times since I first learned to write and start to get good at it by age 9.

And last night a wife of a good friend who was driving up from southern California to the Mt. Shasta area stayed the night at our house with my wife and daughter and son and I she mentioned how everything one does in writing or prayer form like a meditation helps the person doing the writing or contemplating or intuitive first before it actually goes out and helps others. Since she is an Aryuvedic  medical practitioner who has studied with a Nepalese Aryuvedic medical practitioner lady for some time I respect her ideas.

So, that is something else to think about. Even as you write poems, songs, comedy or prose you can help yourself potentially even as you are helping others at the same time. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

No comments: