Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Intuitive Science

I think the main difference between "Science" as it is usually defined and what I would call "intuitive science" would be that an intuitive can often experience the whole universe as one's own body. Since a body is alive, to an intuitive the universe is alive too. Now you might say that, "Oh yes. All the living things like humans, animals, fish, birds, plants, trees and micro-organisms are all alive. No. I mean that "Everything is alive!" So the point of view would be that there is nothing that is not alive. So the constant life experience of an intuitive is that "Everything in the universe is alive". And furthermore, one should rejoice in this aliveness and celebrate that the whole universe is alive every moment of one's life.

My wife bought me a book called "A Short History of Nearly Everything" for Christmas. It is by Bill Bryson and it is "The Special Illustrated Edition" because she knows I love to study about new breakthroughs in science and to write about how this will affect everyone here on Earth and likely beyond as well. I couldn't sleep last night and finally found it under a pile of stuff from Christmas and found myself attracted to it and opened it up and started reading and looking at the illustrations and captions which the illustrated edition is chock full of.

However, when I started to read I found myself strangely startled by the author's point of view. Though it is "Popular Scientific" in its point of view I didn't like everything sort of described as dead. But that is just me, I guess. Let me quote what I personally found in contrast to my life experience.

"-----Being you is not a gratifying experience at the atomic level. For all their devoted attention, your atoms don't actually care about you--indeed don't even know that you are there. They don't even know that they are there. They are mindless particles, after all, and not even themselves alive. (It is a slightly arresting notion that if you were to pick yourself apart with tweezers, one atom at a time, you would produce a mound of atomic dust, none of which had ever been alive but all of which had once been you.) Yet somehow for the period of your existence they will answer to a single rigid impulse, to keep you you."

Now you might actually believe this point of view, especially if you are a scientist. I too, view myself as a scientist by nature but also as an intuitive scientist. So to think of everything as dead I don't find useful or meaningful at all. Though I experience an intelligence behind and as a part of everything everywhere, I personally don't require that all beings also experience life in this way. I just find it very unfortunate when people actually experience or choose to experience life as being dead it tends to make a person very fearful, disconnected with other life forms and things in a very profound way and leads to many many neurotic tendencies. Now you might say if you are a scientist that this is just being a realist and not living in fantasy. However, my point of view is that it is a form of nihilism which often leads to  extreme neurosis or suicide in many folks who often give up living in hopelessness.

Now, I can understand why some might think this way and that only by breaking everything down into "Dead Pieces" would make sense to them. However, I just find this form of viewing life "unfortunate" and leading towards a short lifetime with few relationships of meaning.

So, for me, science is useful as a tool but not as an end in itself. I bring my own experience to science so therefore my life has meaning. To me, in my own personal experience of life, every atom has consciousness, every body (human or otherwise) has consciousness separate from what human personality is but also integrated into it somehow. To me, every star, supernova, galaxy and every universe whether that universe be matter or antimatter has consciousness. And so, to me, not experiencing everything from universes to atoms as having consciousness would be such a great loss as to wonder why one should choose to stay alive and not just commit suicide at such a loss?

There was a time when I was given Beta Blockers to treat my Heart virus that I almost died from. My experience of this was that suddenly all my expansive intuitive experience of life stopped. My reaction was wanting to kill myself because this wasn't living for me this was death. I told my doctor to give me something else after 2 weeks of suicidal thoughts at this awful experience. He was angry at me for not telling him sooner. I haven't spent a lot of time going to doctors in my life as I was raised in more of a Christian Science point of view than most people. So going to doctors started being more normal in my late 40s. I am now 62 and still alive partly because I chose to start going to Medical Doctors when I needed to. My father wasn't as lucky. When his prostate cancer was diagnosed he went into denial about it and later when it was to late to fix it he had cancer of the prostate, bladder and kidney. My wife and mother and I all tried to convince him to go to doctors and have it treated to no avail. He died of bone cancer 5 years after he was diagnosed with prostate cancer. I choose not to die like that so I go to medical doctors. As a result when I had my first colonoscopy at age 50 they found a precancerous polyp and used the little wire loop next to the video camera to snip it off. So 12 years later I would be dead now if I hadn't done this. I likely would have died by 55. So medical science will save your life if you let it and are wise about your decisions. I also was diagnosed with a hypothyroid condition at age 58. This radically changed my life for the better after I found Armour Thyroid. Though one can no longer obtain this in the U.S. one can still get it through Canada by mail with a prescription. Like a doctor of a friend of mine said, "Nothing that works for hypothyroidism is obtainable in the U.S." I used to think I would die in my 60s. Now I see I could live into my late 70s, 80s or 90s. Science is amazing if you make it your friend with a little intelligence and common sense.

No comments: