Sunday, May 8, 2011

A Useful American Point of View Regarding the Death of Osama Bin Laden

 http://www.cantonrep.com/opinion/letters/x242753535/Killing-of-Osama-bin-Laden-prompts-conflict-between-being-Americans-and-Christians

As I continue to read and view the various reports concerning the killing of Osama bin Laden, I am conflicted. As an American, and as a veteran, I am proud of the courage and sacrifice so many in our military have made to make this day happen. But as a Christian and a person of faith, I am also troubled by the scenes of rejoicing at the death of another human being, no matter how evil he may have been.

My faith as a Catholic teaches that Christ died for my sins as well as Osama bin Laden’s, that both of us nailed him to that cross, and that he, no less than I, is a child of God. I believe that I, as a Christian, and we, as Americans, have to be better than the enemy we fight. That we honored his body with a burial in keeping with his religious beliefs and traditions shows the world that America is an exceptional country.

There is no other country or people who would have accorded those rites to their sworn enemy, save America. Let us pray that peace will come to our troubled world, and let us also pray that a just God will have mercy on his soul.
end quote from:
 http://www.cantonrep.com/opinion/letters/x242753535/Killing-of-Osama-bin-Laden-prompts-conflict-between-being-Americans-and-Christians

No comments: