Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Leisure to Practice: Designing the Future of the Human Race

When I studied with Native American Medicine men and Tibetan Lamas in the 1980s especially in the U.S. for Native American Medicine Men and Women and in the U.S. Nepal and India for Tibetan Buddhist Lamas I learned from Tibetan Lamas something called, "The Leisure to Practice". To Australian Shamen this might also be something like "Going Walkabout". It is having the time to be spontaneous and to pray all the time if it is in your spirit to do so. So, after I learned that I could help the human race for thousands of years into the future by praying for the "Leisure to Practice" I did so. In other countries like Thailand, for example, this is much easier to do because being a Buddhist Monk for parts of both your young life and after 50 is much more normal in that culture. Whereas it is less a part of the everyday life of Americans and Europeans to spend parts or most or all of their lives in a "Leisure to practice" state of consciousness where one literally can "Pray without ceasing" in a spontaneous way.

It might interest you to know that my writings here at this website as well as my writings at:

dragonofcompassion - Home

are a part of my "Leisure to Practice" which I invoked and created in my life starting about 1980 in earnest.  For an American, "Leisure to Practice" looks a lot different than for other countries in the world. I created my Leisure to practice by praying but also by traveling to India, Nepal, Thailand and Japan in 1985 and 1986 with my family. This intuitively guided trip led to amazing adventures there for myself and my family, (the Kalachakra Initiation) in Bodhgaya, India where the Buddha became enlightened by the Dalai Lama which was given to 500,000 of us from all over Asia and about 10,000 of us from the western world ( the western world being europe, the U.S., Canada, Australia, and south America and strangely enough at that time Japan was considered by most people in Asia to be both Asian and western at the same time.

This also led to traveling by train with a Tibetan Lama friend, Geshe Lobsang Gyatso) that I had met in Santa Cruz when he was helping Lama Yeshe to pass over and reincarnate as another Lama this time from Spain. We traveled with him to Varanasi (to the Burning Ghat), to Nalanda University (ancient Buddhist University now in ruins), to the Taj Mahal, New Delhi, and finally to Dharmsala with him and his Tibetan translator. In Dharamshala we met Lama Ayang who had initiated us in Santa Cruz as well and other westerners from the U.S. and around the world, and Tibetan Students from the Himalayan region that were long time students of Geshe lobsang Gyatso. Also, I was introduced to Lam Rim Geshe, who was the retreatant Geshe of 17 years the last time (recently to come out of the retreat in the dark for 17 years) who was the 6 foot tall model for Yoda in the Star Wars movie. His home looked a lot like Yoda's Home on Degobah by the way. And when I took Geshela and his translator to see "The Return of the Jedi" in New Delhi it was so loud that I had to stuff cotton paper in my ears because most people I guess then had a hearing deficit because the traffic was so loud in New Delhi and other places like Bangkok. But what I found funny was that the Ewoks were speaking rudimentary Tibetan. I found out when Geshela and his Tibetan Translator started laughing out loud during the showing. I asked them later and they told me that the Ewoks spoke Tibetan.

Years later in the 1990s I was going through a terrible divorce and wondered if I could survive it so I prayed to become 'A caretaker of God's wealth'. Though what God's wealth actually is is beyond any concept that I had then during the 1990s, God granted my request as a responsible being working for him even though as a human I didn't fully understand what was happening at the time, especially when I thought I was dying in 1999 for seven months during a heart virus. I was the only person with a heart virus that I knew of that year that survived a heart virus in California. "The Lord works in mysterious ways".

After my forced retirement from the Heart virus I moved into the Leisure to Practice. Part of my Leisure to Practice has been my websites that I vowed to God to start if I ever lived through my heart virus. meditations I learned from Surviving Whooping cough at age 2 and a disconnection meditation saved my life along with a group of angels coming to me when I thought I was actually dying and telling me in unison, "You are not going to die! Your life will get better now!" They said this over and over to me while encircling me completely. They kept saying this loudly so  cells of my body would believe them so I wouldn't just go into shock and die right there.

Seven months later when my doctor said, "After 7 months we have through the process of elimination realized that you had a heart virus, it was easy for me to imagine why most people die of this illness which one usually gets (1 in 1000) chance by getting your teeth cleaned if something from your mouth between your teeth gets directly into your blood stream and causes an infection which causes a heart virus and greatly reduces your hearts capacity to pump blood. So you either die or your heart eventually gets better just like your heart getting over a flu or something.

At this point I moved fully into the "Leisure to Practice". What actually can happen if you are tuned into God enough and the needs of others is that you become very efficient at amplifying prayers and become very efficient at making both your prayers work and the important ones of all others that you know about. In this way you become "like a monastery on a hill or at the Ocean" in my case and help become one of the millions of architects for the future of the human race both on earth and beyond. 

I am writing this so that others can realize how important their wisdom garnered is to present and future mankind. If you have good ideas that can help mankind please share these ideas if you sense it useful. Pray without ceasing spontaneously, compassionately for all life on earth. In this way we all create (by God's Grace) a future all of us can stand to live through, especially our children and grandchildren.

Note: There is one more thing that might be important for me to share regarding the "Leisure to Practice" in my experience. While I was in Dharamshala, India a monk who had given up his robes to take care of his parents because there is no "Social Security" for Tibetans in Dharamshala, was given permission to take us to see Ling Rinpoche. This Ling Rinpoche was the Dalai Lama's regent and ran Tibet until the Dalai Lama came to be the ruler of Tibet when he was 18. Ling Rinpoche was also a very accomplished Tulku and Tibetan Lama. When I was taken to see him he had been sitting non-stop on a table in a stone hut high in the Himalayas for two Years. I asked the attending Tibetan Monks if he was coming back to movement and regular breathing. They said, "No." It was explained to me that many highly advanced Tibetan Tulku Rinpoche's exit like this and go to their heaven realms and then project back "Darshan" (Spiritual Blessings) from the Heaven realms sometimes for years like this. I was overwhelmed by the energy in the room as I had never experienced anything like this before. We were given salt encrustations from his non-deteriorating body for over two years to eat like a Catholic would eat "Wafers representing the body and blood of Christ". The Tibetan Thought is to "become of one taste with the Living Buddha". It is so that the Buddha's attainment becomes one with the student. This was an incredibly powerful time for me and it was so incredibly powerful that I eventually had to go outside and cry as my father had passed away about 6 months before this. It was like God had put me here to show me that this was something much different than death and that there were alternatives to how we see things in the western world.  I was profoundly changed by this experience and haven't been the same since. This experience brought me to "The Leisure to Practice" more powerfully than any other single experience that I can remember in my life.



No comments: