Sunday, September 25, 2011

Crazy Stupid Love: The Movie

When I first saw the preview several months ago now of Steve Carrell jumping out of a car doing about 25 to 35 mph because his wife had just told him she had slept with another man after 25 years of marriage I knew this movie was going to "Kick My Ass".

So, we sort of put it off until it had moved to the local ARTs theater that shows mostly foreign movies with subtitles and very meaningful but low budget movies like "Midnight in Paris" which I also saw for the second time this week(great movie!)

Yes. This movie has something for everyone at almost every age from about age 13 to Steve Carrell who is in "Crazy Stupid Love with Julianne Moore:

Julianne Moore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I remember Julianne Moore first in 

Boogie Nights    and

The Big Lebowski

Both these two movies she just knocked right out of the park. This movie is mostly about a a male bonding relationship between Ryan Gosling and Steve Carrell but Steve's kids and the babysitter and the babysitters father and mother have very interesting parts as does Marisa Tomei and Emma Stone

Marisa Tomei - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Emma Stone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

 

who are two very capable Character actresses. So, because of all the high powered acting in this movie from all sides(amazing acting) and a very believable story I would also give this movie a thumbs up. However, bring a hanky because it will either be a one or two hanky movie for many of you. And after you cry be also ready to laugh, cry, laugh, cry, laugh, cry. (It really is that kind of movie).

I got hit when I least expected it when Steve Carell was secretly doing garden work in his home (even though he no longer lived there at night) and he saw his wife go into his office and call him on his cell phone in his pocket to pretend to ask him how to light the hot water heater. He dutifully told her even though she just wanted to hear his voice after having been married to him for 25 years. He understood and went along with the lie because he loved and understood her. 

It took me personally back to a very dark place when I broke up with my ex-wife before I married my present wife. Luckily for me, my present wife was getting cold and made me put my arm around her because the theater was too cold. So eventually I took off my flannel over shirt and put it on her so she could stay warm  now).

No comments: