Friday, September 30, 2011

The Jet Lag trick

Note: This only works if you are going to be in a specific non-home time zone more than a week or so. So about 2 weeks or more in a time zone very different than your normal one. So, for example I just flew through last night to Europe and found myself at 63 pretty messed up because I just don't sleep on planes at all. However, it was pretty cool to wake up and be over Greenland in the middle of the night. I reached out with my intuitive senses and experienced all the wild life like polar bears, arctic foxes, and sea life in this area and felt all its wildness and primalness this far north. The Boeing 777 that I flew on had individual flat screens like a slightly smaller version of Ipad with a functional touch screen with individual movies and TV programs that you can pause or run by yourself including music. All with individual headphones. They are built into the top back of the seat in front of you as you fly. Every passenger had one in Economy and first class had what looked to be like 20 inch flat screens with couch or bed to lounge on. Unfortunately, my travel agent neglected to book economy plus because I'm 6 foot 5 inches tall (6 foot 4 and 1/2 inches without shoes or sandals on). If someone comes back quick with their seat it could easily break one or both of my knees while flying if I'm not flying in Economy plus.

The jet lag trick is started now by flights to europe by airlines sending you there usually overnight which starts the shift to another time zone 4 to 12 hours away from your own. In Europe it is usually 8 to 9 hours different than California for example.

So, here is the trick (one of many). When you get to your destination rather than be messed up for about 3 days coming and 3 days coming home try forcing yourself to sleep the first 15 hours in your new country. The alternative is usually awful as I first found out in 1999 when I tried to drive without doing this in Scotland without doing this first. My 22 year old daughter taught us this trick two years ago when we went to Paris about this same time of year. By the way, if you are traveling to London it is the hottest for this time of year right now for about 100 years. And you are sure to see many people with very white legs in shorts that likely would never wear them otherwise. So, if you are coming to England or Europe don't just bring cold weather clothes remember your shorts and sandals too or think about buying some here for about the next week or so. It was about 85 Degrees Fahrenheit  or more in London yesterday.

No comments: