Thursday, October 27, 2011

Geocaching

Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site

My daughter got all exited to find out about Geocaching in Great Britain so she wanted me to put an App on my Iphone for Geocaching worldwide. It turns out that there are some caches within 1 or 2 miles of where we live on the coast of Northern California. So, I rode my mountain bike and the kids walked and we found the first one in the forest. This particular one was contained in a 35mm plastic canister that is impervious to weather as long as it is in a log or under a piece of wood and out of the sun and wind. So, we were happy to find it within 20 minutes of looking once we found the specific GPS coordinates that are supposed to put you within 3 to 5 feet of the object. It was getting hot so I wanted to return home so I rode my bike there and left my Iphone with them with the geocaching app on board. Later they just called me and they found another cache and I picked them up in front of a nearby Golf Course and took them up to a lookout nearby where you can see about 50 miles which includes both land and ocean.

No comments: