Sunday, October 16, 2011

My daughter is an A-Student and capable of Getting a degree in anything she wants to do

My daughter is 22. She already got a certificate in Teaching English as a foreign language anywhere on earth because she likes to travel. But her complaint is: "I don't want to go to any more college unless I know exactly what I want to do. I don't want to end up bankrupt like many of my friends from student loans I can't pay off!"

My daughter was home schooled most of her life until she was in High School and then found High School kind of ridiculous where she was and so got on a program as a junior to attend college directly. So after one year of this she realized she didn't know for sure what she wanted to do with her life and since she didn't want to go bankrupt from student loans she decided to put off more college except for a teaching certificate that she got in Denver to be able to teach "English as a foreign language anywhere worldwide". Since she got an "A" in this certification she was offered a job teaching there in Denver. However, she didn't want to live in Denver because though her boyfriend was from a ski area in Colorado they both were living in Oregon so she returned to Oregon where they were living then.

My wife and I took them with us to England and Scotland which we returned from a few days ago. But traveling with my 22 year old daughter was a real treat for us as she is such a great traveler and they both were really fun to travel with. my 15 year old went with us too. We found that we could stuff ourselves into a rented Mercedes stationwagon(one we rented from London to Bristol where we took an express train to Edinburgh. And then 3 days later in Edinburgh we rented another Mercedes stationwagon that took us all to Aviemore and Inverness and all the way to Aberdeen and then back to the Queen's View near Pitlochry and then finally to the Balmoral Hotel in Edinburgh next to J.K. Rowlings permanent Suite on the 5th Floor there.

So, I guess what I'm trying to get at here overall is that "Maybe going bankrupt by obtaining student loans isn't really useful to anyone." Not to the student and not to society unless there is a job available at the end. However, if you or your parents have saved enough money for your education then I think it is worthwhile to get your degree in whatever interests you. A college education can open doors to your mind and to your future that nothing else can. Learning to think can and will change your whole life for the better. But going bankrupt at 22 or 25 might result in a student's suicide and that isn't useful to anyone at all.

No comments: