Thursday, November 17, 2011

Occupy Eerie

The other day when I was walking with my wife from our hotel to the Art Museum in Denver.  It turned out that the state Capitol building was to our left as well as "Occupy" demonstrators were to our right in the park. I was watching the enthusiastic movements of the demonstrators when I noticed a class of students(between 10 and 12 years of age) likely going to the art museum as well following my wife and I and her friend at about 100 feet behind us. As they passed the demonstrators, about 5 to 10 of the kids answered the demonstrators chant with "Tax the Rich, Tax the Rich, Tax the Rich". I found this experience both eerie and unusual even more than all the police and demonstrators there at the state capital next to the art museum. One never knows when one is going to be taken by surprise in life. But I can see now that the "Occupy" movement is deep in the Zeitgeist of the American World Psyche. And just like antiwar demonstrations, this era in the future will also be remembered in media especially by the colorful "Occupy" movement. It is difficult to predict where the movement will lead at present but I think it will be around in many different forms for a long time.

No comments: