Sunday, December 25, 2011

101 Gadgets that Changed our World

I was watching something I DVRed called the title of this blog at the History Channel that also can be reached at history.com

Here are the top 5 gadgets that changed our world. I also think it is worthwhile to watch the program online if you can to see the rest of the gadgets as well.

5 Personal Computer
4 hypodermic syringe
3 television
2 radio
1 smart phone

If you will notice the smart phone contains aspects of three of the others (personal computer, television, and radio).

The following is probably the most mind boggling fact that my son who has a technical background building computers and having a Bachelor of Science in Nursing picked up at the end of the program:

All money made on movies (including in the theaters) and video games of all sorts is only 1/2 of what has already been made selling Applications (APPS) to smartphone users. This is amazing but true!


this pie chart is from  wikipedia under the heading "Smartphone"
begin quote from:
 http://gigaom.com/2010/03/26/1-in-2-americans-will-have-a-smartphone-by-christmas-2011/

1 in 2 Americans Will Have a Smartphone by Christmas 2011

If you’re not ready to bid farewell to the feature phone just yet, you might want to start preparing your goodbyes. Nielsen today estimates that by the end of 2011, smartphones will overtake feature phones in the U.S.. One in two Americans will have a smartphone by Christmas of that year, Nielsen forecasts, compared to just one in 10 in the summer of 2008. I blame the iPhone, but there are plenty of culprits to point out — superphones packed with with more features than you can fit in a stocking over the fireplace.
    

I was unable (within 10 minutes of research online) to figure out how many cellphones are in the U.S. so I could tell you how many half of those would be. However, I believe before Christmas I heard that 150 million people in at the very least Europe, Canada and the U.S. had smart phones. However, that is just something that stuck in my head and I have no present source that I can give you to corroborate this information.

No comments: