Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Brave: The Movie

I went to see Brave with my wife and son and daughter this week. My wife said it was her favorite movie thus far this summer. I think my favorite would be: "The Avengers" which is the first A+ movie in a long time by almost anyone's standard. But I must say that I greatly enjoyed Brave mainly because I went to Scotland in October 2011 and I stood next to and touched real standing stones in Avebury England where you can walk freely through several hundred of them right next to sheep grazing there with you. (I don't know what they do with the Rams because that could get dangerous).

So, Brave touched my wife very deeply because when we were in Scotland she didn't want to come home at all. My oldest daughter and boyfriend were going to stay in Scotland and England a couple of weeks and I sort of wanted to go home because unless I was going to rent a house  for a while there I had had enough of traveling almost every day for a few weeks time.

This movie captured some of the charm of the legendary Scottish personalities both in men and women. And since both my wife and I are each half Scottish this was very moving as well. I enjoyed the way they depicted the Will o' the wisps and though I don't think there are still bears in Scotland there likely were in more ancient times and maybe something they called dragons as well. But the movie was sweet and it was an important movie likely for girls of all ages to see for a variety of reasons throughout the world. It is a very empowering movie for young women and women of all ages. It was most like Mulan about the Chinese Girl in the sense of being an empowering movie for women. But Brave is more specific to the quality of Celtic Culture where often women went to battle and fought alongside their men which was unusual in most cultures on earth. I think that was the real beginning of equality of the sexes that came first in Celtic and northern European Culture.

No comments: