Sunday, August 12, 2012

Composting

My father always liked to have an organic garden if possible wherever we lived while I was growing up and as an adult if I lived on enough land to do it I often had an organic garden myself. So, I'm very familiar with composting. Most people at different points in their lives have either time or money in their lives. Some people (usually people over 40) might have both time and money and then you could just go to Whole Foods or a local Farmer's market that sells organic food.

But most people if they have a porch or veranda or back yard might like to grow their own organic food even if it is just carrots and tomatoes which are two of the easiest things to grow and they could be grown both inside or outside in pots as long as they have access to a sunny window and get enough sun, water and good air and soil to survive.

The issue of composting lately has come to mind as a result of eating just so very much Organic vegetable and fruit juice that I have been making the past few months in my Breville Juicer. So, about 90% of the grindings of everything can either be thrown away, put down the garbage disposal (some of it) or composted. But, remember if everything you are growing or buying is organic it is also very safe to compost with to either grow more vegetables (or fruits) I suppose. Or to just put into your soil around your house to make the soil have more nutrients for your other plants. If you are planning to grow organic food then buying a composter from Orchard Supply or other Garden supply place might be a good idea to keep the smell down so it doesn't bother your neighbors. However, if you are just trying to enrich your soil generally and doing this rather than building up an amazing amount of organic trash, then all you have to do is to take your bucket of composting materials and turn up a shovel of dirt, throw the composting materials in and then turn the soil back onto it and it will slowly over time break down and enrich the soil wherever you put it in your yard or field or area you plan now or eventually to grow an organic garden in.

But, if you want to compost more quickly and then be able to use the compost for growing organic vegetables and fruit you may want to buy a composter, like I said from Orchard supply or other garden supply outfit and then buy a bale of hay and then alternate compost and then hay, then compost and then hay in your composter. The hay keeps the fruit flies from becoming a problem on your property and also keeps the smell of the composting material down as well.

At this point I'm just burying my organic compost in my yard to enrich the soil but also with the idea that I might dig it up at some point to use it for organic compost growing vegetables. However, if you are not the first person to live where you do you also have to consider that others might have sprayed insecticide and herbicides in or on your soil in your yard at some point so you might want to consider this if you are serious about growing truly organic veggies and fruit there. But, in the end that is all a matter of personal taste.

In the meantime because I have been juicing 3, 2, or 1 meal a day so I feel much healthier and better and I also lost the 30 pound the first 7 days I did the ALL juicing of organic Veggies and fruits all my tastes for food have changed. I find now I love the vital feeling of eating really alive things and that I really notice when I eat live foods in the aliveness and energy I feel. So, this is now a permanent part of my life ongoing. So, perfecting my ongoing diet into something I love to both eat and to live ongoing is really amazing. I have hope in a way for my future that I had almost completely lost being presently 64. Now that I know that I can feel as healthy as I did at age 15 or 20 at 64 there is no stopping me from continuing my path to more and more organic and live foods in my diet and to search out great recipes for myself and my family ongoing.

I was listening to Dr. Fuhrman talk about an 82 year old man on a raw foods diet running the Boston Marathon and winning consistently in his age class. This is just one of the reasons all of us should be eating more raw and organic foods.

The other thing about this type of diet is that it completely eliminates problems like acid indigestion and hemorrhoids and various other problems and this kind of diet is a cancer preventative diet as well. And this appears to be a consistent truth for all or almost all people who go on a diet like this.
My son, who is a nurse is also studying and experimenting with this diet. We both were agreeing that it is also helpful to have some carbohydrates. So, sometimes we will go out and get a piece of pizza somewhere.

It is useful to understand that balance in everything is necessary. For example, I have noticed that some people who went on too extreme a diet for too long were no longer able to eat regular food at all because their body had completely converted to too refined a diet. So, though I love live foods and organic everything, I also know the importance of being able to eat other things in emergencies. So, in order to be able to eat almost anything in emergencies in life one needs to also consider this in not making their diets so 100% refined for so long that they can then never eat anything else even in an emergency.

But, though I have stopped going to most fast foods places, I still go to Subway and have a foot long Veggie Patty on a whole wheat Bun with everything I like there sometimes. So, just remember balance in all things will lead to a long life even in emergencies.

No comments: