Saturday, August 11, 2012

One cure for Hypothyroidism

I have always considered my life to be a miracle because I have always tended to survive and be okay through things that would have killed most others. So, I consider that God has always had a plan for me and has a good reason for me to stay alive and to be healthy. Writing my Blog appears to be one of these reasons I continue to be alive and healthy even at age 64. An old friend called me to tell me her daughter who is my age died of a heart attack this week. This was difficult for me because I had considered dating her daughter when I was 21 and only didn't because of the physical distance between us which then was about 1 hour by car at that time. This put everything into perspective and enabled me to write this article for you today.

This week has been a difficult one physically for me. The two reasons so far I have realized were one, the earthquakes from Alaska to Northern South America. (I tend to get ill before earthquakes, especially ones 5.0 or bigger) My experience of them makes me feel uneasy and nauseous for a few days before they occur. (The 2004 Earthquake and Tsunami in Indonesia I was sick and uncomfortable for about 1 month before it occurred and about 200,000 people died).

So, this week was all the earthquakes as well as a good friends daughter dying. This is part of what it is like to be an intuitive like myself ongoing. What is strange is that God and the universe kept telling me someone I had either dated or something like that was dying this week even before my old friend called to tell me the sad news.

So, in regard to hypothyroidism it played havoc in my life from about age 35 to 58 when it was finally diagnosed. Likely my divorce when I was around 45 was at least in part caused by this undiagnosed hypothyroidism. What it is is that one's thyroid glands aren't secreting enough thyroid to keep one's hormones in balance. Some of the symptoms are: being cold and clammy most of the time(not being able to stay warm enough), getting ill a lot, (for me this was getting Bronchitis up to 5 times a year in my 50s before I was 58 when I was finally diagnosed). So, if I had continued to not be diagnosed with hypothyroidism I likely would be dead now from pneumonia like my cousin's husband was at age 60.

Finally, my physical trainer who had been trained as a Physician's assistant in Germany told me when I outlined my symptoms that she had the same malady and it was hypothyroidism and that I should have a T3 and a T4 blood test. When I did I came out positive for Hypothyroidism (thyroid glands not making enough thyroid to balance hormones in body)

As soon as I got on Armour thyroid as a medication and found the right dose for me I felt like I was 20 years old again only with the aches and pains of someone in their 60s. This has been wonderful ever since.

My doctor had me take another T3 and T4 test to see if my thyroid was at the right level and that I was still on the right dosage. It came back abnormal so I upped my dose 1/4 tablet per day. What I usually do when this happens is to see how I feel. Too much thyroid is sort of like drinking too many cups of coffee. It might make you lose weight but what good is that if you can't sleep because of the 24 hour a day caffeine affect. So, the trick with thyroid medicine is to get the right dose where you feel awake and healthy during the day but can also slow down so you can also sleep at night.

I have done this in various ways. The way I have been the most successful with is to up my dose by 1/4 tablet and to see what happens. If I can't sleep on a 7 day 1/4 table more then I only take the 1/4 tablet every other day. If that is still too much then I keep reducing the dosage until I can sleep regularly again.

In fact, that is another of the symptoms of hypothyroidism which is you want to sleep all the time and have a lot of trouble staying awake all the time. So, if you have this problem you should also have your thyroid levels tested by taking a T3 and T4 thyroid blood test.

Also, though Armour thyroid was available by prescription when I was first diagnosed it is no longer available in the U.S. (probably for a not a good reason other than wanting people to take synthetics which all have terrible side affects). Armour thyroid has no side affects at all unless feeling like you are 20 years old you think is bad. So, it is still made in Canada, Great Britain, and Germany and most other places on earth. So, I get my Armour thyroid through canadadrugs.com with a prescription from my doctor here on the California coast. It takes about 2 to 3 weeks after you order it to get it here in the states by mail. So, make sure you have enough of whatever prescription you order from Canada so you don't run out while waiting for the mail.  Many people tell me for all prescriptions they might save anywhere from 20% to 50% of the cost of buying prescriptions here in the U.S.  I do it because I have to get Armour Thyroid from outside the U.S. Others do it to save money on their prescriptions. So, it is important to know that this works and helps people stay alive both ways.

1 comment:

Jesse said...

That's good to know that there are various medications to be used as treatments for hypothyroidism. It's highly appreciated that you shared it here..