Friday, August 17, 2012

You pay for Free APPS with your Privacy

There is an article in the latest Time magazine August 27th 2012 called "The Phone Knows All". Here is a quote from the top of page 31 of that article, "No APP is free" says one senior executive at a phone carrier. "You pay for them with your privacy." end quote.

Of course we are talking about the "Free APPs" that you can get for Android and Iphones which are both smartphones. So it may be important to know that all of your pictures, texts and emails and more might be the price you are paying for "Free APPS". And you don't know where on earth this information is going or what use or uses it will be put to both now and in the future.

This is one reason why I wasn't as upset as most people would be when I accidentally ran my Iphone4 through the washing machine in my jeans. I replaced my Iphone4 with the latest Ipad and now pay about $30 dollars a month to have internet anywhere for when I'm not home using WIFI. I went back to an old LGVU phone that had a touchscreen that I liked that only makes phone calls and for texting.  So,  though every cell phone on earth has a GPS chip it is not the kind that smartphones have where it is easy to make maps of where you go with your smartphone day and night. A GPS chip tells where you ( where your phone is at all times as long as it is turned on) but that doesn't generate maps of your every trip away from home like All Smartphones do now.

No comments: