Saturday, October 27, 2012

Driving your car barefoot is legal in California

The main reason for this is sandals. beachwalkers sometimes called thongs are deadly on the roads in California. I myself, have gotten my sandals caught in the gas pedal or brakes and nearly had an accident before I could clear away the tangle enough to stop with the brakes or get them off the accelerator pedal when I was still in my teens in the 1960s. So, California got wise and made driving barefoot legal which I find is a really great idea in a warm enough state. The only problem with this is some people also take this too an extreme and drive around completely naked which gets them put in jail for indecent exposure.

I, personally just always prefer to drive barefoot because I have really big feet from being 6 foot 5 inches tall and in proportion that means I wear a size 14 or 15 shoe. So driving barefoot for me is more about safety so I can feel the very small pedals in relation to my feet. So, often I wear one kind of sandal or another and then when I get into a car or truck to drive I kick off my sandals and drive barefoot because it is much safer for me in California. Besides, if I am anywhere on the coast of California from San Diego Northwards to the Oregon Border it is almost never below freezing and averages around 60 or 70 outside which is within a comfort zone to be driving barefoot even with the heater off.

So, pretty much the only times when I wear shoes to drive is when it is too cold to do anything else when I'm skiing in the mountains or when I'm wearing a dress suit and tie. So, about 90% of the time I just drive barefoot because it is just much safer for everyone.

No comments: