Thursday, November 29, 2012

Cloud Atlas: Afterthoughts

If you haven't already seen Cloud Atlas you probably shouldn't read this as I don't want to spoil it for you. So, this is written for those who have either seen it or don't intend to.

Cloud Atlas is a very important movie on a variety of fronts. I believe this is why it was made. It is an important movie for psychotherapists who use past and future life regressions as a way to heal their patients from their problems in the here and now. It is important in a human rights sense of understanding just how far we have come to get here where we are today here on earth. It is important regarding issues of the freedom to be a gay or a lesbian or a bi-sexual and how this often led to suicide in past eras as recently as the 1930s to the 1960s. And to say this problem has been eliminated (at least in a world wide sense is to be unrealistic even  today).

Although I would not wish upon anyone to be gay or lesbian I don't want to see them kill themselves because society won't accept them either. I think just accepting the fact that some people are born that way may be the single most important thing that needs to be said to everyone on earth.

Watching in that movie the young man sit in a large bathtub with his head low enough to keep the bullet from hitting anything or anyone else while he stuck the German Luger in his mouth and pulled the trigger said a lot to anyone watching the movie. And this was likely in the 1920s or 1930s in Europe, likely Germany.

Then, to watch the young black man stow away on the 1800s Sailing ship and have to demonstrate that he could lower the sails on the schooner, all the while the Captain of the ship had the first mate load a muzzle loader rifle to take aim at the man to kill him. Then the American Gentleman saved the Black man's life by pushing the barrel away just before the gun fired.

Then in the future Tom Hanks met Halle Barry on another planet and fell in love with her even though he was already married. And whether you see the death of his wife and friends and possibly some of his kids by marauders allowing him and his surviving daughter to be with Halle Barry Good or bad, I felt it was amazing that they made it to another safer planet to live out their lives all together.

When I remember lives I have lived in the past, present and future often it has the same kind of feel that this movie had. So, if you are someone who wants to remember your past lives in the past, present and future, watching this movie might trigger your memories. Just be sure you are prepared for what you might find:

If you give a prayer like: "Dear God: Please show me what I need to know about my lives in the past, present and future. Amen"

However, I like to also add to this: "Please don't show me violent deaths that might not be useful for me to know about unless you think it is important both of my own and my friends and relatives. Amen"

So, if you want to learn about your past lives in the past, present and future, watching "Cloud Atlas" just might trigger some of your memories. But then again, it is up to you.

No comments: