Saturday, November 10, 2012

Difficult Day

Today was a very difficult day for me. If you have been following what is happening in my life my doctor wanted to try to cause my heart to heal and to rebuild itself so I was put on 3 medications in addition to my thyroid medicine. I've been sort of worried about taking now 4 medications a day. (You would sort of have to be a complete idiot or something not to be worried about taking 4 prescriptions a day at least for the first couple of weeks because you don't know fully what side affects or even your own death by accident might result). But after a couple of weeks I should know.

I made the mistake of being polite to my wife and having pancakes with syrup this morning which was a mistake because it set me off into a low blood sugar cascade. Then I made another mistake which was to eat several olives made with a lot of salt. This made matters even worse. So, tonight I made another mistake because this day turned sort of into a disaster for me personally, I said to my 16 year old daughter, "I'm sorry if I die sometime during the next 2 years." However, an hour or two later I apologized for telling her that and said, "I'm not going to die during the next two years. I know that now. I just was discouraged by what happened today." She said, "I know you aren't going to die, Dad. Don't worry about it." There was a strength and a confidence in her voice that I somehow found very comforting.

Taking four strong medications is very life altering in a variety of ways at once. My son who is a nurse says likely the biggest problem I'm having is with the diuretic because it changes completely how and what your body does with water. So, you can't take a diuretic at night because if you do you will be awake every 20 minutes urinating. So, you have to take it in the morning.

So, I guess I have to be more disciplined in how I deal with reality by a factor of 5 now. Because everything now affects everything else in really crazy ways. It reminds me of drinking a 6 pack of beer every day in having to take so many medicines at once. Have a Nice Day!

No comments: