Friday, November 30, 2012

It's Raining Cats and Dogs and Sideways

Earlier this week I wrote about the branches blowing off of trees and blowing down the street and pine needles building up on the roads here in coastal Northern California. In the middle of last night the rain started beating down hard on my skylight above the bed in my bedroom. I could hear the wind and rain also hitting the side of the house as well. I could also hear a lot of arguing as my teenage daughter got ready for school. My wife said she went out to the car with an umbrella and the sideways rain turned the umbrella inside out. I looked out and my weight lifting set that I keep on my redwood deck in the back yard had it's plastic cover and tarp blown off even though I put two chairs on top to keep this from happening. One of the chairs had blown off in the high wind. Luckily, I had already taken all the lawn chairs and outdoor tables and other things off the redwood deck so it wouldn't break the window doors leading out to the redwood deck in the high wind going sideways.

The weatherman said earlier this week that they were worried about flooding all over northern California as several storms starting earlier this week could bring 10 inches within a week. I haven't heard of flooding yet. And because of where my house is neither flooding or big waves will be a problem where I live unless a small dam over tops or something like that and I think it's too early in the year for that. I'm glad I have a great place to get in from all the rain and storm. So far the power hasn't gone out yet and I'm hopeful that it won't. I filled up the gas tank in my motorhome in case the power goes out so I can turn on the gasoline electric generator (an Onan)in there to keep my refrigerator, one or more lights on and my internet wifi going from 8am until 9pm at night. I have a 100 foot electrical cord and I use a power strip to plug in the refrigerator and a lamp and I move my wifi router and modem to the kitchen to plug in when the power goes out.
Though our forced air heat goes out when the power goes we have a gas stove that can be lit with matches and a gas fireplace to light our firewood in an emergency. So, we'll see what the weather brings.

Later: St. Helena, California has already received 9 inches of rain with more storms to come.

No comments: