Sunday, December 30, 2012

Birth old age Sickness and Death

The Tibetan Buddhists define these states of being as the most difficult times for a soul to transit through. The distinction is not limited to human beings.

I would look at these states as times of confusion and grief even though for most people watching a baby being born this is a happy time. However, the point is that being born might not be a happy time as the baby experiences it because it might not understand who and what it is, where it came from, how to speak or what it is doing here on earth.

I can remember back quite a ways and apparently more than most people tend to. For example, I can remember quite clearly understanding English completely but not being able to speak it yet. This was incredibly frustrating for me and I would cry. Because I remember family and friends gathered there and wanting to speak too and to share my story but I couldn't. So, at this point I must have been before 1 years of age when this happened. I can remember completely understanding what everyone said, (maybe not all the nuances that an adult can perceive from years of experience in a language), but understanding all the basic words and knowing what was being said in general and wanting desperately to participate in the conversation. It is my thought that this was so frustrating for me that eventually I contracted whooping cough because of this incredible frustration in my young life. It was as if I was a fully formed adult in this baby body and I didn't have the full use of my abilities yet. So, it was an incredible state of grief for me.

Most people equate grief with Old age, Sickness and Death in all cultures around the world with grief and with death and dying. But I think it is very perceptive of the Tibetan Buddhists to also understand the grief a baby experiences being born out of the safety of it's heaven realm or wherever it is coming from as a soul. For a soul to be born on earth is not necessarily a safe thing to do for anyone.

Though a baby is almost always a blessing to those to whom it comes it is also a strain for them often to have another mouth to feed. So, often it is a mixed blessing at best for people worldwide even though most babies are welcomed with open arms by their parent or parents and relatives and friends.

I found myself experiencing dreams that were regarding deep grief of loved ones long lost and grieving the loss of everyone who has passed on who I have known or loved throughout my life. I guess it is a time for dealing with loss as we deal with the passing of yet another year. I have lived 64 years so far so I have lost many friends, relatives, movie star heros and heroines and political leaders along the way so far. And it gives a very different perspective to life having done that than when I was a teenager or young person. At this stage nothing in life seems very permanent. The person who has been there the longest and been around me the longest at present is my 38 year old son and in a whole lot of ways that always seems kind of strange that that is now true. Though I still have many relatives and friends from the early 1960s during my teens they mostly now live in other places than I do now so I see them at most once or twice a year. Happy 2013! Happy New Year!

No comments: