Sunday, December 30, 2012

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil: The movie

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (1997) - IMDb

www.imdb.com/title/tt0119668/
 Rating: 6.5/10 - 23509 votes
A visiting city reporter's assignment suddenly revolves around the murder trial of a local millionaire, whom he befriends.
Directed by Clint Eastwood. Starring John Cusack, Kevin Spacey.

My wife bought me for Christmas a year ago: The Clint Eastwood limited edition gift set of DVD's. There are over 30 of his movies on DVD and a large coffee table type of book about all his movies included there. My son found it on top of one of our collections of about 20+ years of  DVD's and Blue Ray DVD's and realized I hadn't opened it yet. I said, "I mostly like to watch movies with other people now so I mostly watch them on cable because other people are watching them too around the world or I wait until a friend or family member wants to watch a DVD with me. He looked through them and mentioned this movie and I said it was a really good one so we watched it again.

I was kind of surprised it was made in 1997 because it seems like just yesterday when I first saw it with my wife. So, my youngest daughter must have been just a baby then.

This movie stars John Cusack and Kevin Spacey as well as John Cusack's love interest in the movie Alison Eastwood (one of Clint's daughters). 

This movie is delightfully eccentric in a Savannah, Georgia kind of way. I had remembered it being set in New Orleans but I realized it was in Savannah, Georgia  because of the very polite Southern ways of the people that are unmistakable.

Another remarkable thing about this movie is that there is a very Young  Jude Law that you almost can't recognize when he first sort of started his career here in the U.S. (look for the Camaro).

I think if you haven't seen this one you will like this offbeat murder mystery. John Cusack is a New York Writer for a magazine and is totally unprepared for everything he finds in Savannah High Society, including Keven Spacey. So, it is a rare treat of a movie!

No comments: