Sunday, December 30, 2012

Stand By Me: The Movie 1986


Stand by Me (1986) - IMDb

www.imdb.com/title/tt0092005/
 Rating: 8.1/10 - 151204 votes
After the death of a friend, a writer recounts a boyhood journey to find the body of a missing boy.
Directed by Rob Reiner. Starring Wil Wheaton, River Phoenix.

I was watching a new DVD of "The Bourne Legacy". The new one with Alaska and a flying Drone in it when the dogs started barking. I thought it must be a raccoon or skunk or even a cat in the back yard but it turned out to be my son visiting unannounced. My wife and I decided to finish the Bourne movie later and my son was picking out a movie from our collection to watch. He found "Stand By Me" which was made in 1986 and had Wil Wheaton from Star Trek and River Phoenix: So, we watched this movie that reminds me a lot of my own life summers from 1953 until 1960  at Shasta Springs near Dunsmuir and walking along the train tracks and swimming in the upper Sacramento River and places like Moss Spray Falls down the tracks towards Dunsmuir from Shasta Springs and the trails down through the waterfalls to the tracks. The way they talked and acted was just the way it was for me in many ways from about 1956 to 1960 or 61. And Yes, Junior high changed everything and made everything much more difficult. 1953 when I was 5 until 1961 when I was 13 was a much more innocent time than now. But, the way kids thought and acted and talked and the non-chalant way kids were carrying weapons then and even smoking cigarettes and being beat up and harassed and sometimes injured by older boys was exactly the way it really was for me too in those days. It was another time with transistor radios when boys in some ways were expected to be men from about 5. And many boys like that died in the Viet Nam War including some I knew too back then in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Though in some ways it makes me long for the innocence of those times, still the psychological damage done through having to survive all the abuse along with all the really great camaraderie makes me glad to be an older and wiser and safer adult now too. If you had to survive all that kind of stuff for more than about 10 years or so no one would survive it at all.
 Wil Wheaton ... Gordie Lachance
River Phoenix ... Chris Chambers
Corey Feldman ... Teddy Duchamp
Jerry O'Connell ... Vern Tessio
Kiefer Sutherland
Ace





























































No comments: