Friday, February 15, 2013

Skiing Douglas

Recently I was skiing Douglas which is an advanced ski run at:

Mount Shasta Ski Park

It was a little icy and they need more snow but it was still good today. I'm not sure how good it will be within a week if they don't get more snow though. The weather felt like in the high 50s or low 60s Fahrenheit so it was spring skiing conditions and some places were corn snow which is easy to catch an edge on which I did at least twice today. I have learned from experience to take one ski off when I go down to get up because I'm not as young as I used to be and don't want to blow out a knee. But, my friend and I who I helped build his house back in 1976 on have been Skiing on Mt. Shasta on Cross country or Mountaineering skis since at least 1976 and I first learned to ski on World War II U.S. military "Bear Trap binding wooden skis in 1963 that my Dad had then. So, I have been skiing on various kinds of skis since 1963 now.

Later even though I was too exhausted to ski Douglas more than twice because of the heat and not having enough time to adjust to the altitude (I had only driven up the night before). The downhill skiing altitude I think is about 6000 to 7000 feet about like skiing Squaw Valley in Lake Tahoe altitude wise. But it isn't as fancy as Lake Tahoe results but is great for people from Redding and Red Bluff north who drive up during the week or on weekends to ski or snowboard or cross country ski or all three.

 

No comments: