Saturday, February 2, 2013

Temperatures in California today

First of all, as I was heading north on the Ventura Freeway and up the coast I noticed that it was about 79 degrees Fahrenheit while traveling through Studio City on the Freeway. 2 days ago heading south the highest temperature I had seen was 77 degrees up against the mountains near San Gabriel in the late morning on the 210 freeway heading towards my Cousins place in Orange County to go sailing that afternoon. So, since they had to go to a funeral this afternoon and we had to greet tenants  moving into our vacation rental home  for the spring I was also checking temperatures a little further north which was about 65 degrees in the Oxnard Ventura area and up to UCSB today. But when I checked where I live in the SF Bay general Area the temperature where I live was about 50 degrees which is kind of depressing after sailing in 70 to 75 degree temperatures yesterday and driving through 79 degree Temperatures today. And more surprising still where I went skiing in Mt. Shasta it was 45 degrees there which isn't the best temperature if you want to keep the snow for skiing. So, I kind of wondered how the snow is doing there?

Here are the present conditions there:
  • WEBCAMS

  • LATEST VIDEO

  • CONDITIONS EMAIL

    Sign up NOW to join our Conditions Report email list.

Conditions

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Day Skiing:
OPEN 9-4
Night Skiing:
OPEN 3-9
New Snow Overnight:
"
New Snow Past 24 Hours:
"
Top Depth: (measured at the top of douglas)
54"
Base Depth: (measured at the lodge)
34"
Temperature(°F):
Currently: 42.4°
Today's High: 49.5°
Today's Low: 33.4°
Wind Chill:
42.4°
Barometric Pressure:
24.74 in/Hg
Visibility:
good
Snow Conditions:
Hard Pack, Machine Groomed
Wind:
0°(N) @ 4.5 mph
Average Wind Speed: (past 60 minutes)
2.91 mph
Wind Speed High:
11.8 mph

Mountain Operation

Coyote Lift Status:
OPEN
Douglas Lift Status:
OPEN
Marmot Lift Status:
OPEN
Learning Tow Status:
OPEN
Trails Open:
ALL
Trails Groomed:
18

Terrain Parks

Revolutions Park:
18 features, 3 jumps
Silver Tip Park:
11 features 3 jumps
Half Pipe:
none
Half Pipe Cut Date:

Road Conditions

Ski Park Highway:
clear


CalTrans Highway Information Northern California Chain Control Map CalTrans Traffic Cams

For the latest road conditions, visit the web sites listed and linked above. Clicking these links will take you out of the Mt. Shasta Ski Park web site, so remember to bookmark us with your favorites before you leave (and come back often!).

IN ADDITION TO THE DRIVING LINKS BELOW PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THERE MAY ALSO BE DRIVING RESTRICTIONS ON THE SKI PARK HIGHWAY!

end quote from:
http://skipark.com/the-mountain/conditions 

My thought is since it is getting down into  the low 20s at night they likely are making snow as I have seen at least 5 to 10 snow machines there during the coldest parts of the nights so they can keep the lifts open.

Also, if you go to the ski park remember that a 45 to 20 degrees temperature range might make the road up from Snowman Summit on Hiway 89 pretty dangerous as it goes into and out of Black ice when the ground goes below 32 degrees this time of year. As I was coming down from skiing a couple of weeks ago there was an accident of a car that likely put brakes on and spun around and hit another car. So the car was backwards when I went by. I have 4 wheel drive so when I know I might be in Black ice areas or snow covered roads I put it into 4 wheel drive going downhill and downshift so all wheels are pulling back sort of as brakes. And I try never to use my brakes and only shift between lower gears so I don't spin out or crash.

No comments: