Thursday, June 27, 2013

A Covey of Quail

My son's car that I have to keep running for him while he is away wouldn't start so I moved the dogs out of the back seat and over to my motorhome which also needed to be run. Then I drove to a nearby forested trail and was going to let the dogs out when I realized I had stumbled upon a covey of little California quail with their Mom and Dad. The problem was they were gathered right where I had to let the dogs out of the motorhome so I encouraged the quail family to move off the dirt down nearer the stream away from traffic as this didn't seem a good place to have 10 or 12 little 2 inch high walking baby quail running around. So, of course everybody but one of them went the same direction which left one guy about 5 to 7 feet away from the rest and out of sight. So, I sort of chased the little one further away down towards the stream away from the road and hoped the parents found him and that my dogs wouldn't see any of them when I let them out of the car. I let Furby my 14 year old getting a little senile still hiking long hair german shepard Australian Shepard mix (smartest dog I've ever known) out first because he would be just too old to even notice the birds. Then I picked up my daughter's Corgi and walked holding her to the trailhead because she would have eaten every single one if she saw them and luckily because I was holding her hopefully she didn't.

So, after walking a couple of miles I had hoped the quail would have moved further away from my motorhome for safety. But, I guess the parents like this place for some reason and the parents and babies were scolding us for returning. Anyway, the Corgi I ushered back into the motorhome and again Furby as I picked him up and put him in the Motorhome didn't notice so all was well with the world as I hopped into my motorhome and drove a mile or so back home to where I live on the Coast near the Pacific Ocean in Northern California.

Though these aren't the ones I saw they are about the same size as the cute little covey I saw.

No comments: