Sunday, July 28, 2013

Timberline Lodge Mt. Hood

Recently I visited and stayed the night at Timberline Lodge which has to be my personal favorite place in Oregon up on Mt. Hood at around 5000 to 6000 feet in elevation. This year there is less snow for skiing than in the last year or so around this time. I was skiing with my daughter here last July up on Palmer Lift (two lifts above Timberline Lodge) on a glacier there. But there is about half the snow this year but people are still skiing and the main glacier people ski on is still good. But this time I had to get up to Seattle to meet my wife so I only have one night here before my journey further north. So, I brought my daughter and her boyfriend here on one of their days off work together this week.

I had had enough going to colleges and 4 17 year old girls(one is actually 16 and skipped a grade) and we seemed to go look at and be talked to by trained professionals from every school from Souther Oregon University North up Interstate 5. So, I let my wife (whose brilliant idea this whole thing was in the first place) finish taking them to the rest of the schools they wanted to see a couple of days ago. Then I'm supposed to meet her further north and we might go up into Canada to see British Columbia. Canada and Hawaii I think might be our two favorite places to go out side of the lower 48. Paris is another favorite of mine now too. I really resisted going to Paris and found I loved it a few years ago. I was really surprised just how much I loved Paris. The only drawback for me is no air conditioning (or moving air) in the Louvre at all which made me feel like I was suffocating when I was in there so I only lasted about 1 hour before I had to leave or feel like I was going to pass out from lack of oxygen. (The problem with aging). Anyway, I'm always happy to go to Timberline Lodge ever since one February I believe we stayed here while it snowed straight for 5 days about 5 feet of snow total. the snow removal equipment basically was working 24 hours a day just to keep the road to the lodge open during that time.

 We took the lift up to the base of Palmer and decided to walk down (my daughter and I) while her boyfriend took a nap in our Fireplace room at the Timberline Lodge.

Food also seems to taste better at altitude and there are several nice restaurants here as well. And the view today was tremendous (you can see 50 to 100 miles or more to the east, south and west from this location).

No comments: