Thursday, October 31, 2013

Refuge

Often when we are little children we take refuge in our parents or guardians if we feel we can trust them.

Later in life if we believe in something or someone we take refuge in that something or someone.

In the 1980s when I was studying Tibetan Buddhism and I was in my 30s I learned the following phrase

"To the Buddha, the Dharma and the Sangha go I for refuge"

At that time I learned to repeat that 3 times.

What this means is that you are going to the Buddha, the Teachings and all who share your beliefs for refuge.

This is likely done in somewhat the same fashion by religions around the world as people form and join their communities around the world.

Today as I said, "To the Buddha, the Dharma and the Sangha go I for refuge"
I found myself adding:
                           "To the God of the Universe I go for refuge"
and then I found myself adding:
                           "To the Universe I go for refuge"

Because I found these things very satisfying in my heart of hearts I decided to share these joined phrases with you too.

25% of all Buddhists on Earth also believe in God. Many or most of these Buddhists are Christians like me. So, I see myself as a life long mystical Christian from birth who has also studied Buddhism and other compassionate paths that have actually made me a much better mystical Christian from meeting and studying with people all around the world.

Doing all this has made me in my mind "A Citizen of the Universe".


No comments: