Saturday, December 28, 2013

Living to Old Age

If you want to ever be 50 or 60 years old or older there are some tips: first illegal drugs aren't going to help you do that(especially if you keep doing them). 2nd, learn to become adaptable in how you deal with life. The less adaptable you are the less likely you will live this long. So, being exposed to many different kinds of people through traveling around the world might make you more knowledgeable, less ethnocentric and therefore more likely to survive anything that comes. The more well rounded and capable of dealing with any new situation you become also the more likely you will survive whatever comes.

There is no way I could have fully prepared myself for what I have had to deal with the last 65 years of my life. I wouldn't have believed you if you told me what I would have to endure and survive. However, I did it because I guess first of all I come from pioneer stock who settled the U.S. since about 1725 on my father's side. One my mother side both my grandparents were born in the U.S. to Scottish parents but then my grandfather's father died and his mother and brother and sister had to return to Scotland and later he and his brother returned to the U.S. My Grandmother was born in Philadelphia to two Scottish parents but when their home burned down they also had to return to Glascow, Scotland. She married my Grandfather there and returned to the U.S. in the early 1900s with him. She lived to be 90 years old along with her three daughters one by one including my mother. So far, my grandmother and three daughters have lived longer than anyone else I know of in the family.

My father's family was always more adventurous but somehow I got both sides (both the calmer Scottish side) and the more intense side of my father's side who were settlers in the U.S. since the 1720s in Philadelphia where they first arrived up the Philadelphia River. Six Brothers came from Switzerland through Germany and England to the U.S. in a ship not to different from the Mayflower in 1725.

So far I have made it to 65. If I had been born 20 years earlier likely I would have died by 50 when I got my heart virus for a variety of reasons. But, luckily more was known now about such things even though they still couldn't diagnose that I had a heart virus even in 1998 until I got over it. Then through the process of elimination they realized that was what had been wrong with me. I was lucky. Most people who get heart viruses just die when they panic when they can't oxygenate their blood. Fortunately for me, I learned a disconnection meditation while I was in India and Nepal from Tibetan Lamas so I knew how not to panic so I lived when everyone else I knew of with a heart virus died. So, sometimes traveling can save your life by meeting the right people.

It's amazing how life works. I'm more amazed every day. That's part of what keeps me alive. Being amazed at life is very entertaining I find.

No comments: